International BARABBAS

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Just checked the Intermezzo on the CD and it lasts 1.40. So perhaps it was a bit more than the interludes.

Surprised it was a flop in U.S. Thought I read somewhere it was a surprise hit.

I must say I can't understand what Sidonis, who release this in France, are up to.
They take care by adding an excellent 20 min discussion about the film by Bertrand Tavernier and an hour long 1990 doco about Quinn dubbed into French, but release the film in a very poor transfer.( Oh , it does look fantastic ... if the picture is 10 inches wide.)
Then they lock everything with French subtitles that can't be removed( unless you have an Oppo) greatly restricting its sales.
They need a good talking to!!!!;)

Reactions: Robin9

RolandL

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Roland Lataille
As presented in it's original roadshow run( very short run at that) in NYC
Barabbas had an Overture and Entr'acte during the intermission. The music was the same for both and is available as the Intermezzo track on the original lp soundtrack.

While not one of my favorite of epics not available on Bluray I'd welcome a good transfer of the complete film. What is now available is short by about seven minutes but I don't know what's missing. Perhaps it's the music interludes?
The New York Times review in 1962 has it as 144 minutes.

Reactions: PMF

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Reaction score
this new one is 137 minutes. If the Intermezzo number was used twice that still leaves 3 minutes or missing.

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
Sean
Then they lock everything with French subtitles that can't be removed( unless you have an Oppo) greatly restricting its sales.
They need a good talking to!!!!;)
I imagine that's because this release isn't really intended for international sales. The releasing company likely licensed it for France only, so why would they customize it for English-speaking markets?

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Reaction score
One would presume that they are there to make a profit so why limit the market in these days of globalisation?

OliverK

Producer
Reaction score
I imagine that's because this release isn't really intended for international sales. The releasing company likely licensed it for France only, so why would they customize it for English-speaking markets?
I am very sure that the forced subs were most probably part of the licensing deal, I cannot imagine any company going with forced subtitles if they don't have to. Luckily that mainly seems to be a French thing, In Germany for example it only seems to be necessary to region lock certain discs.

OliverK

Producer
Reaction score
Reactions: RICK BOND

RICK BOND

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Real Name
RICK
Three years later and no proper release in sight but I stumbled upon this on caps-a-holic:
https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=598&y=340&d1=9669&d2=9670&s1=93771&s2=93782&l=0&i=6&go=1

While the Sidonis disc onnly has DVD quality the actual DVD of Barabbas has even less than that.

Hopefully Sony is working on it, Barabbas would have looked very good in that UHD box set with Lawrence of Arabia and Gandhi.
I guess Sony does Not want to spend any Money to Restore it Properly. I would Love to have it in my Epic collection ! Released the same year as King of Kings 1961. I'm sure it will Never look as good as the KoK Bluray.

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
Ah, when I saw this I thought something might be happening. Yes, the DVD was dire, I couldn't watch more than ten minutes (& we were a lot less fussy in those days). I wonder if Sony are working on any large format films, there's this & Lord Jim, but you never know, they might be working on them right now.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Ah, when I saw this I thought something might be happening. Yes, the DVD was dire, I couldn't watch more than ten minutes (& we were a lot less fussy in those days). I wonder if Sony are working on any large format films, there's this & Lord Jim, but you never know, they might be working on them right now.
Unfortunately, I believe this is merely wishing at this point. Both Barabbas and Lord Jim were beautifully filmed but I must admit neither turned out very good. I recall seeing Barabbas at The DeMille Theater and Lord Jim at the Loews State. Picture and sound were great ...especially the music to both films.

Billy Batson

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Alan
Oh, I think Barabbas is really good: that amazing crucifixion scene (filmed during a real total eclipse), the sulfur mine (almost another character) & those really plush arena scenes. I agree that Lord Jim doesn't really work, but I still like it, & after all this time I don't think it really matters how they did when first released.

Last edited:

Greg Krewet

Stunt Coordinator
Premium
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the HD version of Barrabas on ITunes. I am hoping it drops in price for this weekend.
Best
Greg

haineshisway

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Bruce
I cannot imagine why Sony would spend one cent doing anything to Barabbas - a shame, but they know exactly how many it would sell, which is maybe on a lucky day a few hundred copies. And they're not like other studios in terms of letting licensing labels pay for a new transfer - I don't think Grover is into that at all.

Ken Koc

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ken Koc
It's so frustrating that LORD JIM is in iTunes on HD but CROPPED to 1:85!!!! Can't that be fixed?

Last edited:

Mark-P

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Mark Probst
It's so frustrating that LORD JIM is in iTunes on HD but CROPPED to 1:85!!!! Can't that be fixed?
It is a Movies Anywhere title. Have you checked any of the other services to see if any of them have the correct ratio?

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JP2