What's new

International BARABBAS (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Could well have been Oliver.
Just dragged out the DVD and it is pretty crappy. Couldn't find the DVD of King of Kings for comparison but no luck.
Interestingly the DVD is 4 track while this new one is only stereo I believe.

I fully believe that it is. I still have the King of Kings DVD (1961) as I like to use it to show people the difference between really good DVD and a very good Blu-ray, that is always a very effective presentation.

Regarding the 4 track sound that was on a bunch of Columbia DVDs for some time, I still have DVD with 4-track sound of The Man from Laramie.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Well, it seems to look a bit better than the horrid review one buyer posted at Amazon.fr. suggests. I had decided not to pick it up based on that. I just might go for it now as it looks every bit as good as the Twilight TIme Hawaii to my eyes. Beggars, as the saying goes, can't be choosers.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Well, it seems to look a bit better than the horrid review one buyer posted at Amazon.fr. suggests. I had decided not to pick it up based on that. I just might go for it now as it looks every bit as good as the Twilight TIme Hawaii to my eyes. Beggars, as the saying goes, can't be choosers.

You definitely will not find this level of detail on the Barabbas Blu-ray:
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/screenshot.php?movieid=135082&position=5
This does not even look that good but better than all the caps of Barabbas which should tell us something.

I find it deplorable to release a large format movie looking like Barabbas, the only criteria seems to be that it looks a little less horrible than the DVD (by Blu-ray standards) and it is almost the same for The Long Ships. While I think that there is little hope for The Long Ships being revisited by Sony any time soon the chances for Barabbas should be much better.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I guess this is not the same French group that did a wonderful transfer of Circus World.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
This is not as much a matter of where but of when. Work on Barabbas was probably done before the DVD release which means at least 15 years ago. The work on 55 Days and Cirucs World is much more recent and was performed at Pinewood in the UK in 2011 and 2013 with technology that had evolved massively by that time.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I bought this to judge for myself and because I don't see the point in waiting for something which might be better but which may never appear.

It's considerably better than I expected and, of course, vastly better than the DVD. Yes, maybe the color veers too much to brown but I thought the film always looked rather brownish especially in the interior scenes. Exteriors look far better - in fact, very good. Sound is 5.1 as well as stereo and again, is a huge improvement over the DVD.

I'd say that most people who appreciate the film would not regret buying it.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Doug, I am still trying to convince somebody to screen his 35mm IBTech print for me ;)

Judging by the screencaps the Blu-ray does look better than the DVD so it is currently the best version that is available on disc. It is just not comparable in quality to other roadshow titles from the era that made it to Blu-ray in much better shape.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I wish caps-a-holic or dvdbeaver would do a comparison of the DVD and Blu-ray.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Well, whoever posted the caps here did this release a great disservice - unless, of course, the transfer is really devoid of most hues other than brown. Until I see something that tells me otherwise, I can't take a chance on this - folks seem to have a high tolerance for brown transfers that don't have proper color - I don't. Someone post something that shows me an outdoor scene with actual correct color and I may bite.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
What region is the Bluray? Also, are any subtitles forced that cannot be removed?
The Blu-ray i purchased was played on a OPPO player set to Region A. When you select the English audio track the subtitles appear in French and CANNOT be turned off. If you own an OPPO like I do you can use the subtitle shift feature to move the subtitles off the TV screen.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Well, whoever posted the caps here did this release a great disservice - unless, of course, the transfer is really devoid of most hues other than brown. Until I see something that tells me otherwise, I can't take a chance on this - folks seem to have a high tolerance for brown transfers that don't have proper color - I don't. Someone post something that shows me an outdoor scene with actual correct color and I may bite.

These are photos of the TV screen - but with that proviso, they give an idea of what the image looks like (the banding on the sky is due to the camera; it's not on the screen).

Attachments

• Barabbas.jpg
    Barabbas.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 174
  • Barabbas2.jpg
    Barabbas2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 149

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Doug.
It still is an oldish transfer I guess but one has to wonder why there were no caps of outdoor scenes when they look like this.
Maybe to discourage potential buyers?
In any case probably a safe buy for people who just want something better than the DVD, me I will wait for another way to watch it and hopefully also for a new Blu-ray from Sony.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Doug, thanks for the photos - I actually trust those more than I do caps. And as OliverK says, one has to wonder why anyone would post the caps they did when they have zero color in them - they should have SOME color so they were obviously taken poorly or something is screwy somewhere. There's natural color in the images you posted and I would feel much more comfortable buying this now. Is there a link somewhere.

BTW, there are several bad reviews of this disc on amazon.fr.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks