What's new

Barabbas HELP !!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Yup, as I posted before; it's either a new scan & master job from Sony, or it's the same old rubbish, no matter what country is releasing it.

It does look less pasty than the French release but that is very faint praise and reminds me of that one slightly less horrible looking version of El Cid from the UK where at least the faces were no longer tinted orange.

Looking back in time it is quite obvious that a new master for a movie like this is highly unlikely to go unnoticed so until I hear confirmation of the necessary work being done I will not entertain any thoughts of buying a Blu-ray of Barabbas.

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Sony has limited resources for what they can do but I am sure that they will finally get to Barabbas. Until then I suggest to get other movies that already have at least a decent Blu-ray. Regarding the picture quality as somebody else once said and it seems to apply to all Barabbas Blu-ray releases: They were not released, they escaped.
That's my biggest gripe with such releases : when the material you're dealt isn't up for a correct BD release, just don't release it on BD. If you really have to, just do a DVD, but don't think of doing anything higher.

I see that we have on this thread a post from 3 months ago predicting the Imprint release would look exactly like this, because no foreign BD looked better than what's closer to a SD upscale and there hasn't been any news from a remaster since, so it wasn't rocket science to guess this was bound to happen also with Imprint's. Oh well.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
That's my biggest gripe with such releases : when the material you're dealt isn't up for a correct BD release, just don't release it on BD. If you really have to, just do a DVD, but don't think of doing anything higher.

I see that we have on this thread a post from 3 months ago predicting the Imprint release would look exactly like this, because no foreign BD looked better than what's closer to a SD upscale and there hasn't been any news from a remaster since, so it wasn't rocket science to guess this was bound to happen also with Imprint's. Oh well.
Obviously a DVD release would be more honest but then much fewer people would buy it and these few DVDs would also fetch lower prices than Blu-rays would.

As for the members who have bought it I am sorry it did not turn out better for them but the Blu-ray format in itself is not an indicator of a certain level of quality.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Mine arrived and I must admit it's much better than the Sidonis French one. Perhaps not the sharpest image but at times not bad, at least to my eyes. Am happy to have it without the forced subs, which I hated. I saw Barabbas in theater several times many decades ago and it always had a brownish dull tint to it as I recall. Perhaps De Laurentiis was going for that earthy Italian Neo-realism look. It does feature Vittorio Gassman and Silvana Mangano of Bitter Rice fame, so there might be something to that theory. Not sure if there will be another better version ever on the horizon.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
After viewing this Imprint title last night I can understand the trepidation on this presentation. I could readily see that there were several sourced film elements that for better or worse, comprised this edition. The disclaimer at the front of the presentaion should have told me something. Getting an appoligy in the intro of any film, is never a good sign. Is it better than the DVD or the French release, definatly YES. Is it where it needed to be NO.
But, in between are some very nice clean and crisp scenes that do work very nicely. The problems arise when the subpare film or audio elements detract from those crisp senes giving you a sence of loss and confusion. It is a Great movie, and I hope someday that somone will do it justice. Until that day, at least this will tide me over until the real thing comes along!!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Mine arrived and I must admit it's much better than the Sidonis French one. Perhaps not the sharpest image but at times not bad, at least to my eyes. Am happy to have it without the forced subs, which I hated. I saw Barabbas in theater several times many decades ago and it always had a brownish dull tint to it as I recall. Perhaps De Laurentiis was going for that earthy Italian Neo-realism look. It does feature Vittorio Gassman and Silvana Mangano of Bitter Rice fame, so there might be something to that theory. Not sure if there will be another better version ever on the horizon.
When I saw the caps over at DVDBeaver I thought that this was a worthwhile improvement for people who have to watch Barabbas NOW. Glad for you and others who are happy with it given the circumstances.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Just watched the wonderful extras last night, a thoughtful discussion and history of the production hosted by Sheldon Hall and a documentary on the career of Richard Fleischer, which sadly spends little time on Barabbas but is fascinating nonetheless. Many surprises in the Hall interview. These alone make the purchase worthwhile for me.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Just watched the wonderful extras last night, a thoughtful discussion and history of the production hosted by Sheldon Hall and a documentary on the career of Richard Fleischer, which sadly spends little time on Barabbas but is fascinating nonetheless. Many surprises in the Hall interview. These alone make the purchase worthwhile for me.
Ah! You're making me think again. I had absolutely no intention of buying this disc and normally "extras" don't interest me at all. I am however a great admirer of Richard Fleischer and Barabbas is a movie I'm always willing to learn more about. I'm now seriously tempted to buy a seriously sub-standard disc!

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
You must be getting a commission from Imprint for this, you sly devil ;)

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
Obviously a DVD release would be more honest but then much fewer people would buy it and these few DVDs would also fetch lower prices than Blu-rays would.
That's indeed what I was told by a couple of French labels who had to deal with releasing BDs sourced from awful sources that indeed, while it's not up to snuff technically, it offers a higher visibility on the market than a DVD-only release would.

As for the members who have bought it I am sorry it did not turn out better for them but the Blu-ray format in itself is not an indicator of a certain level of quality.
The BD format in itself is not an indicator of a certain level of quality, but it should. You're not buying a bigger car to have the same space than in a small one, and the same goes for BD : you're not buying a movie on BD in order to settle with a vaguely better quality than DVD. Unfortunately, the format has been used too many times to recycle dated masters, some better than others but many limiting the upgrade a BD could offer, but that doesn't mean that from a customer point of view, the purchase of the technically more advanced format doesn't come with higher technical expectations.

In any case, I'm quite certain that if people like us here were expecting a lack of improvement on this release, the professionnal team of Imprint also had access to this information too but still chose to go ahead with it rather than releasing another movie that was at least technically in a better shape. It'd have been a shame for Aussies wanting Barabbas but I'm sure Imprint would have been able to find another worthy movie anyway.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
In any case, I'm quite certain that if people like us here were expecting a lack of improvement on this release, the professionnal team of Imprint also had access to this information too but still chose to go ahead with it rather than releasing another movie that was at least technically in a better shape. It'd have been a shame for Aussies wanting Barabbas but I'm sure Imprint would have been able to find another worthy movie anyway.
I think it depends on the goal: If you want to release Barabbas you will have to go with the best available master no matter how bad. Same if you want to watch Barabbas and not something else.

So while it is nice that other movies look better our hobby is also about watching specific movies not watching something that looks good.

I find it insulting to a movie if it looks that bad on Blu-ray, especially one like Barabbas. This is why I am usually willing to wait for many years for a better way to watch most epic movies but I can see that others think that (their) life is too short for that.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
"So while it is nice that other movies look better our hobby is also about watching specific movies not watching something that looks good." For me, it IS about aquiring the best versions of the movies added ot my collection. When a lable is not consistent, it weakewns the brand. If customers cannot rely on at least PQ they will be much more hesitent to rebuy. Such is the case with Imprint. Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on ME!! Imprint has had some very nice releases and it was on that history that I made this purchase. I have seen those that "drop and pop" the old dvd onto BD and promote them as New on Blu ray!!! I don't buy from them more than once!!

"Buyer beware" has never been more alive as it is today!!

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I think it depends on the goal: If you want to release Barabbas you will have to go with the best available master no matter how bad. Same if you want to watch Barabbas and not something else.

So while it is nice that other movies look better our hobby is also about watching specific movies not watching something that looks good.

I find it insulting to a movie if it looks that bad on Blu-ray, especially one like Barabbas. This is why I am usually willing to wait for many years for a better way to watch most epic movies but I can see that others think that (their) life is too short for that.
I'm not willing to wait for something which may never happen, so I'm perfectly content to buy existing Blu-rays of BARABBAS, LORD JIM. EL CID etc. and have something better then the DVD versions, even if not up to the best they could ideally be on the format. Packaging and extras are also a major consideration for me. Frankly, I'm not convinced after all this time and with physical media declining, that Sony will ever remaster LORD JIM and BARABBAS.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Thanks Douglas! Good God, I'm really happy that Imprint released their Barabbas. It's just not THAT bad, for crying out loud. Screened it twice now. Some bits are not super sharp but most scenes are quite nice and WAY better than either the DVD or the French BD. Heard bad things about the Lord Jim, but if it's anything like the Imprint Barabbas I'm now inclined to pick it up. Just ordered Rose Tattoo and Derzu Uzala from them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks