What's new

Barabbas HELP !!!!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Anyone who wonders what all this fuss is about should revisit the DVD to the Imprint blu-ray comparison here:
This is as good a barometer as to whether it's worth it or not for you as you're likely to find. Personally, I'm looking forward to Imprint's upcoming Derzu Uzala and Rose Tattoo blu-rays.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Anyone who wonders what all this fuss is about should revisit the DVD to the Imprint blu-ray comparison here:
This is as good a barometer as to whether it's worth it or not for you as you're likely to find. Personally, I'm looking forward to Imprint's upcoming Derzu Uzala and Rose Tattoo blu-rays.
If only I could trust DVD Beaver's screen caps. If only he would enable a fair comparison by making both images equal in size.

I'm deeply sceptical about screen caps in general, partly because I don't know how they were taken and partly because my computer monitor does not present images in the same way my projector does. I've found again and again that DVD Beaver's screen caps are not at all representative of what I see on my projector screen and consequently I now don't trust them at all.

I still might, just might, buy this Imprint Blu-ray disc despite its flaws because I love the film and those "extras" interest me.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
If only I could trust DVD Beaver's screen caps. If only he would enable a fair comparison by making both images equal in size.
My assumption was that DVD Beaver makes screen caps from similar formats in the same size. It would be fairly useless to enlarge a DVD capture to match a Blu-Ray capture in size, if you're trying to compare picture quality.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
My assumption was that DVD Beaver makes screen caps from similar formats in the same size. It would be fairly useless to enlarge a DVD capture to match a Blu-Ray capture in size, if you're trying to compare picture quality.
I don't understand that. Why would it be useless to present equal-sized images?

tenia

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rémy
It's not useless at all, on the contrary. The issue is that Gary never managed to properly take a screencap on DVD or BD (and I suppose UHD) that's adequately transparent to the source, leaving them slightly filtered and with incorrect RGB values. I remember discussions about this dqting back from Eureka's Nosferatu DVD but then, the Dr Strangelove Criterion BD caps also were incorrect.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand that. Why would it be useless to present equal-sized images?
Indeed, maybe caps-a-holic will also add the imprint disc in the future as they do have a comparison to the DVD and the Sidonis Blu-ray already:

Looking at these caps is really painful and the Imprint may add a bit of texture but otherwise will be from the same master - depressing.

Last edited:

willyTass

Supporting Actor
I’d be embarrassed to release titles like this and call it Blu ray.

although, compared to Imprint’s The Conterfeit Traitor, Barabbas is a revelation.

Imprint should change their name to Swindler Studios, Gall Films or Hustle Arcade.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
All other factors being equal, wouldn't a DVD screencap look worse if enlarged the same size as a Blu-Ray screencap, due to its lower resolution?

It would look worse if blown up to larger size or rather resolution but when you watch the DVD on your TV or projector it would be the same and both the DVD and the Blu-ray would be blown up to the same (probably 4k) resolution of the TV and therefore to the same size.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
All other factors being equal, wouldn't a DVD screencap look worse if enlarged the same size as a Blu-Ray screencap, due to its lower resolution?
Yes, of course, and that's why screen caps should be the same size. The purpose of a comparison is to see the difference and form an opinion. Anything that reduces the difference is bad.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I own the Sidonis Barabbas and it looks pretty sub-standard in comparison to the Imprint. There's no "HELP" coming for Barabbas so love it or leave it, I guess, it simply ain't getting any better that this.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
IMDb indicates this was a Super Technirama 70 production; not clear if it was filmed in 70mm or it was converted in certain prints to that, but in either case the Technirama process should’ve produced excellent results. I went ahead and purchased this release but haven’t watched it yet. The old DVD picture quality I recall didn’t impress. I guess this is as good as it’s going to get for this title.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
IMDb indicates this was a Super Technirama 70 production; not clear if it was filmed in 70mm or it was converted in certain prints to that, but in either case the Technirama process should’ve produced excellent results. I went ahead and purchased this release but haven’t watched it yet. The old DVD picture quality I recall didn’t impress. I guess this is as good as it’s going to get for this title.

I think how it worked out was the film was shot in 8-perf 35mm Technirama, and then printed to 70mm. And yes, this new edition of the film is a far cry from how it should look.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I would bet that it will eventually be released in better quality but who knows when.
Life's too short for many of us to sit around waiting all the time so I can understand people who are tired of it buying the Imprint release.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
I'd like to hope that it would be re-released with some improvement but I've absolutely NO faith in that at all. Nobody else will touch titles like Barabbas, Damn the Defiant, The Naked Jungle, Secret of the Incas, The Carpetbaggers, Derzu Uzala or The Rose Tattoo for some reason except Imprint. To demean them seems disingenuous and vindictive. Still, WB released a REAL piece of crap PQ nightmare with Giant and now they "revisit" it. Can't wait to suffer the hand wringing when the Imprint Derzu Uzala comes out. Sadly, those of us who saw it on the screen all those years ago in various theaters remember that it just never looked that great. The movie, on the other hand, is a classic. Maybe you've guessed that I'm an Imprint fan.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd like to hope that it would be re-released with some improvement but I've absolutely NO faith in that at all. Nobody else will touch titles like Barabbas, Damn the Defiant, The Naked Jungle, Secret of the Incas, The Carpetbaggers, Derzu Uzala or The Rose Tattoo for some reason except Imprint. To demean them seems disingenuous and vindictive. Still, WB released a REAL piece of crap PQ nightmare with Giant and now they "revisit" it. Can't wait to suffer the hand wringing when the Imprint Derzu Uzala comes out. Sadly, those of us who saw it on the screen all those years ago in various theaters remember that it just never looked that great. The movie, on the other hand, is a classic. Maybe you've guessed that I'm an Imprint fan.
I’m not so sure about that as I think a couple of those titles might be coming from Kino.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks