What's new

Bar Top Ideas??? (1 Viewer)

BenLacasse

Auditioning
I am redoing my basement and been pondering long and hard about ideas... I don't want to regret any ideas later...so I am taking my time. I have built an 8 foot bar with a 90 gallon aquarium in it, and haven't finshed off the top yet...I have a few ideas in mind... wondering what people think..so here goes.
1- mosaic tile poker top(I like to play texas hold em)
this is the idea I'm stuck on!

2- painted black then covered with molson beer caps(I LOVE MOLSON CANADIAN!)
3- stainless steel(I LIKE SHINEY THINGS :)

I am putting a couple arcade games in the other end of the bar area. As well as right now I'm finishing off the drywall taping to get ready for paint. I'm thinking of a 2 tone grey faux finish on one wall then a lighter like smoke grey on the rest.

In the bar area I am going to install a blue rope light under some trim about 6 inches from the ceiling for a cool effect.

Any comments will be appreciated.
Ben

I GOT ADDICTED...I ONLY HAD TO LOOK AT A COUPLE PICTURES ON THIS FORUM!!!DAMN U ALL.(WIFE MADE ME SAY IT!)LOL:D

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Ben, I think I like the idea of the mosaic tile, but do you have any pictures of an example of it? Also, care to share any pictures of your bar?

Ian_J

Stunt Coordinator
I like copper top bars. A local American / Irish pub that I used to frequent (before kids) had an old bar imported from Ireland. The copper top looked like a million Micks had passed out on it (PC explanation: its ok, I'm Irish).

Ian (Gaelic spelling)

See I told ya!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
The tile sounds cool.

Another option I've seen on the DIY network is using a tabletop epoxy. They were building a rec-room bar for an ex-pro baseball player (the whole place had a dug-out theme to it). They covered a wooden slab with sports articles, baseball cards, pictures, whatever. Then they poured this self-leveling resin over it so all of these things were sealed in the bartop. It was pretty cool.

If I ever build a bar, I might try something like that.

PS- I just realized the hyperlink above talks about pink paint and "girlie" items... but you get the idea. :)

BenLacasse

Auditioning
I'm thinking...I'm totally leaning towards the mosaic idea..I am such a poker fan that that im going to incorporate this into the top. I have talked to my best buds and he says he doesn't like it but hey "It's my bar!" I'm moving away from the beer caps idea, cause I think it just says "BOOZER"....I may like a drink or two...the biggest thought is house resale in mind too!
Also I have tried to keep a contemporary theme through the house so to do something extreme in the theatre, I don't think it's a good idea...

my two cents...

I'd like some more opinions

Glen C

Stunt Coordinator
it's pricier, but granite is something you won't regret in a few years.

BenLacasse

Auditioning
did I mention that I have a 90 gallon aquarium inside and that I want the bar top to open up so that it will be easy to clean out the tank? I am going to make it open up with a motor so at the flick of a switch its gonna open up :D

JayPo

Stunt Coordinator
Wow! You ARE making a monster house.

I just had a bar top made for under $300. Laminate - 2 slabs of 3/4 inch plywood fastened together - rounded edges at one end, splash guard at the other - purchased 8' bar front that I will stain. Should complete my room and it won't be that heavy. Have already put up wainscoting on the sides to match the rest of the room.

Hope you find what you're looking for, good luck.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Trick to me not only includes how the bar top is designed but how to incorporate the aquarium into it. Are you going to have the lights under the bar top? If so, fans to cool the aquarium become a consideration unless you have a chiller. Additionally you may consider doing it as more of a canopy, being able to remove the top as needed. Perhaps a better place to ask about something like this would be either www.aquariumadvice.com or www.reefcentral.com as the aquarium is the biggest factor.

BenLacasse

Auditioning
hi bryanZ, the bar is already built. The light is in its one 4 foot fluorecent light fixture, it doesnt give off too much heat, the aqaurium is filled.Im trying to get the finishing touches done, cause once its done..its DONE! I dont want to go back in a few months and tear the place all up again...mamma WONT be :D (LOL) As for the heat inside the bar i think it should be fine. There is about 2 feet on either side of the tank of space, on 1 side im going to put in a couple shelves the other is for the tank stuff so i think it should be ok.

So many projects so little time....I am trying to get some DTS THX SDDS pictures printed out...but walmart says its copyrighted and wont do it...gonna try a mom & pop shop and see what happens. I dont want to use my printer cause I know its not going to turn out like I want it too.

One more thing...I want to put in remote dimmers into the ceiling lights...Anyone done this? how much do they cost? where did ya get them...I guess that was more than 1 thing but I'm loving this forum :D:emoji_thumbsup:

thnaks for all your replies guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks