What's new

Banning Dogs in Public Parks (1 Viewer)

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm moving to a place which bans domestic animals from all of their parks. I've never seen such an extreme stance on dogs in my life. Does anyone else have such bans? I understand leash laws (in concept) but an outright ban? I've found out this policy has been in effect for 29 years.

In my opinion, the policy is a total overreaction and tramples on personal freedom...but thats just me. :)

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Sounds like you're moving to Catty. :)

Dogs haven't been allowed in the public park there for as long as I can remember, and I agree it's baffling.

Your post has inspired me though... once I get back I'm gonna see about the best way to try and get it changed, whether it be through petition, going to council meetings, etc.

Evan

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
How absolutely retarded... Here in Austin, we not only allow dogs in our parks, but have several designated off-leash public parks, one of which is exclusively for dogs. It's about a two acre plot, totally fenced, and probably used by over 100 dogs and their owners every day.

Not permitting owners to socialize their animals in public only guarantees the city future incidents with aggressive/protective dog breeds. The vast majority of pit bulls, rottweilers, and dobermans that frequent my local dog park are sweet as puppies. It's the dogs that are locked up in the back yard 24/7 that you hear about killing some kid on the evening news.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Evan - Catasaqua? No, but close. I'm going to actively pursue this. It doesn't sit right with me.

Mark - I would love it if we had a dog park. I always have to feel paranoid if I leave my dog off the leash. My dog wouldn't hurt anyone. I'm intelligent enough to realize this...

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Patrick,

Yep, Catasauqua.

If you come up with any good techniques that make any headway, let me know. I'll try and apply it my town once I'm back in August (I'll have a few months of post-collegiate downtime before being forced to find gainful employment :)).

Evan

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I'm moving to Bethlehem Township. From what I gather, its a policy thats approved by a board - not voted on by citizens. I could be wrong though.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I support the ban on animals in public parks. I hate playing ball or frizbee and stepping (or worse yet falling) in a big pile. My opinion is also somewhat motivated because I was the victim of an unwarranted attack by a rottweiler some years ago in the park.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
I hate seeing piles of garbage in a park or stepping in a decomposing squirrel or nasty food left by someone. it doesn't mean we ban people or animals. i just watch where I'm walking. For the most part, we must assume people will do the right thing.

as for getting attacked by a dog, this isn't isolated to parks. in fact, dog attacks happen all the time. leash laws should be enforced and irresponsible owners should be held accountable.

I'm talking about the base level concept of me walking my dog in a park on a leash.

John Watson

Screenwriter
Why is modern society (North America anyway) so rife with dogs?

I think the licence fees must be way too low, and the poop n' scoop laws so unenforcable, that there is a virtual plague of these (often) abused (ie, untrained victims of neurotic owners) dogs.

At a minimum, there should be both dog free parks (with huge fines for violators), and dog permitted parks, with a helluva licence fee for dog owners, who may use the latter.

Now, I'd better run. As Warren Zevon put it, "Don't knock on my door if you don't know my Rottweiler's name"
:D

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Child-free and dog-free parks? Sounds like heaven! :D Obviously too good to be true, though.

Good question. I agree that licenses and fines are far too cheap. If it were actually a significant financial burden, people might think twice.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
When was the last time you saw someone in a public park cleaning up after their dog?

There are some real public health concerns that may have prompted such restrictions, such as visceral and ocular larval migrans, especially for children that like to play in the dirt.

I know, I know, restricting dogs from these areas will have no beneficial effect, due to the large number of feral cats that poop wherever they desire; however, politicians must be seen to be doing something.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
It's a conspiracy by cat owners who are jealous of how much fun dog owners are having. ;)

Dog parks are great...with bars and pubs full of smokers, dog parks are an excellent way of meeting people without coughing up a lung. You can meet a lot of nice (and attractive!) people this way...a dog is one of the best ice-breakers, especially a puppy. :)

Oh and by the way...cats are often hosts to a parasite that can kill a fetus in a pregnant woman if it happens to come out of dormancy at the wrong time. It is transmitted through cat poop. Toxoplasma Gondii is the parasite's name, and is often never fatal unless you have AIDS (remember the movie Trainspotting?). Approximately 40% of the population in Europe has it.

With that said, cats don't run in packs, and picking up cat poop in a park is very difficult, which is why there aren't "anti-cat" parks.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Julian, the last time I saw someone pick up after there dog was TODAY. I do it everytime Major is out and "does his business".

When was the last time you saw a human pick up the cig butts they fling out the car window?

Dogs are social animals, just like humans. It is the similarity of social structures that make them such good companions to humans in the first place. Depriving them of social contacts is likely as damaging emotionaly to them as it is to us.

So, what do they do? Slap restrictions on the dogs and owners, making it harder for each to socialize, and creating more potential for "issues" in the future.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
A neighbor of mine actually punched me in the face (yes, trial is coming up) when I walked my dog in the common area lawn a few weeks ago, because we were arguing about whether I could walk my dog there or not. He said his kids wrestled there, so I should not walk my dog there. It's the only grassy area in the whole neighborhood, in fact it's the only grassy area anywhere even close to our neighborhood (other than people's yards), and my dog likes to walk on the grass and sniff around.

I always pick up after my dog, and there are no restrictions on walking the dog there, other than that the dog has to be leashed and you have to pick up after it.

I bet he would like that place Patrick lives in, personally I think dogs are a natural part of our living environment and as long as people can control their animals (which means having them on leashes normally) and pick up after them, I feel there should be as few restrictions as possible.

But that incident has stopped me from going to that grassy area again... :frowning:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
For the most part, we must assume people will do the right thing.
What planet do you live on? :D How many times do you hear of someones dog attacking someone and the owner says something stupid like "I don't understand! He's never bitten anyone before."

My brothers dog is the sweetest, most friendliest dog around and would never hurt a fly, yet my brother will still tell people "He's still a dog and I can't guarantee he won't bite you".

Too many people assume that thier pets are 'perfect' and that nobody should be concerned. The fact is, there are a LOT of people who have fobias about dogs (and some have even more reason than others to be afraid).

While I think a ban is a bit far fetched, I can understand why a certain area would do such a thing.

and
p.s. I would also LOVE a ban on children. :D Some parents just have absolutely NO control over these brats.

James Slade

Second Unit
I would probably pay money to use a park without dog crap on the ground, and barking dogs in the area. I would also likely enjoy not having the dog owners around as a bonus.

I personally don't believe that having more legislation regulating pets would be limiting the rights of pet owners, I feel I get screwed by having to tolerate the dirty smelly animals and the people who enjoy that type of company.

In my area I see dog owners letting their dogs use the water fountains (drinking water) in the park, licking all over the thing. It is really gross!!

Of course most people in this thread will disagree with me, enjoy your dogs!

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Why not the opposite James? A specialized dog park with pooper-scooper attendants standing by to pick up poop while the dogs and owners have fun. Charge a toll at the entrance. Maybe the owners can get a (partial) refund if they pick up the poop themselves, presenting the evidence as proof.

Dog park -> pay toll to compensate for increased maintenance costs.

Regular park -> Free, but no pets (dogs, cats, weasels, stupid children, or hyperkinetic rabbity things) allowed.

Regardless, there should always be at LEAST one dog park. Dogs are like people...they could get antsy and sometimes violent if you leave them locked inside small rooms all day.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks