What's new

Bannana plugs. Worth the money? (1 Viewer)

Troy_S

Agent
I'm hooking up Paradigm Monitor 7's, Atoms, and a CC-370 to a Denon 1802 Reciever with Monster Cable.

I've always just crimped the cable ends myself, and while it takes a bit longer and leaves me with sore finger tips I've never found fault in the sound.

Should I change to Bannana plugs since I'm changing to Monster cable? (which I got for free, always thought it was kind of a rip off)

TIA

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Whatever works best for you. I prefer the secure feeling of connecting speaker wire directly to the binding posts on either end. Banana plugs are convenient, but I just prefer the direct connection.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I've always just crimped the cable ends myself, and while it takes a bit longer and leaves me with sore finger tips I've never found fault in the sound.
You’re supposed to use a crimping tool, Troy, not your bare hands. :)
Seriously, the only advantage bananas offer is quick and easy connections. So the only reason to use bananas is if you have to unplug your speakers a lot – like if you’re a speaker tester, or an eternally frustrated “tweaker.”
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Troy_S

Agent
Thanks, if it wont result in any change in sound quality then I'll just keep doing it the old fashioned way.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
While I mentally prefer the idea of a direct connection as well, I have relegated myself to the use of bananas for the convenience. I have never noticed any signal degredation and there are no stray wire strands. I'm using Monitor 5s/CC370 w/ Titans/CC170 as rears, and 2 pairs of Mini Monitors in a second system, all with bananas.

More or less, whatever you're comforable with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks