What's new

Bank of America customers who have visited France--I have a question (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
BofA apparently has a deal with BNP Paribas that you can use any of their ATMs while in France and incur no fees using your BofA ATM card.

My questions are simple:

1. Is this true? Truly no fees added?
2. Did you get a good exchange rate?
3. Are BNP Paribas tellers hard to find? They're supposedly big in France.
4. Any positive/negative experiences you want to share?

I will spend most of my time in Paris, with short trips to Arles, Avignon and Nice, so I'm not going to be out in the countryside too much.

Thanks!

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about ATMs, but I suggest using credit cards, where you'll get a good exchange rate and not have to worry about finding ATMs or what the fees might be.

You might also let your card company know you're going there so they don't cut off your card after a few charges from another country- same advice applies to the ATM card.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I've already called all of my credit and bank cards so I'm set. And while the exchange rate for Visa/MC might be good, there's a 3% surcharge for foreign currency purchases on all but one of my cards, that one has a 1% charge. Unfortunately I just bought my Macbook Pro on that card so the limit is nearly reached.

In addition, I plan on going to smaller shops, cafes, restaurants which may or may not be able to take credit card. I know in Paris they will, but small cafes in Arles and other smaller cities may not be able to.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
That surcharge must be new- never heard of it, but I haven't been to Europe since the 1990s. Even 3% is probably a better deal then you'd get from the currency exchange booths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks