What's new

Bank Card Chargeback? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
A Quick little history.

In 2004 or so, we bought tickets for a Slanted Fedora Star Trek Convention that seemed to have booked a few high profile guests. This was in June I beleive. A few months down the line, they are still taking orders, but, a few days later after I check again for updates, I see an ominus message. They closed down. They cited some reason that was all happy and sad at the same time.

OK, so I email Dave Scott, the co founder. I show him my Paypal receipt with date and time of purchase. No reply.

Two years later, I do a search for new NJ conventions, and I come across an article on Slanted Fedora. While I more or less never had a problem with them, except for a few issues.....it seems they where shut down by the Kansas government and Better Business Bearo and had been investigated for fraud. There's even a few lawsuits against them for customers who payed but they never delivered.

I even found a story about a con I went to. Supposedly, Patric Stewart canceled for a Convention at the last minute because of Nemesis filming, as did 3 other TNG Stars. No biggy at the time....movie is more important. So, in order to o'make people happy', Dave Scott made an announcement on Saturday that about 200 autographed pictures from Stewart where being flown straight to NJ from the set. I remember thinking even then, even though I didn't have a watch on me, that it seemed a relativley short time untill he announced hapilly, 'They are here! we'll be handing them out at the end!'. From a note I Read through a search, seems they where there all along... Good way to make the convention goers happy about your service I guess, but danged slimey tactic...

So, we payed about $115's for a convention that was never delivered. Even though it's 2 years later, can we still call the card company and ask for a charge back if we send them the paypal information? That 100$'s would come in handy now :).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I doubt it, there is a statute of limitations on chargebacks, usually 60-90 days, although this can be extended if the payment was made for something in advance, but then the chargeback would have to be made within a reasonable timeframe of the item/service not being delivered.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
In my case, I had no idea they where closed down by the BBB for faulty practices. Obviously their goodbye note mentioned nothing of that, and they where still taking pre-orders up untill they closed down. I was hoping that might be a bit of leverage to make the chargeback possible.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, even 180 days would be stretching it. It's like when you get a rebate check, and they put an expiration date on it (like 90 days from date of issue so they don't have to worry about someone trying to cash it 2 years from issuance).

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Why they didn't deliver is irrelevant. It is up to you to file a claim as soon as it is obvious you didn't get what you paid for. It can't hurt to call the CC company and make your case, but don't be surprised if the answer is "sorry."

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The credit card company should have a documented procedure for disputing charges, including the timreframes when you must submit your dispute. It should be posted on their website.

Steve Ridges

Stunt Coordinator
90 days is the limit with my Bank (Bank of America). I found out that someone opened a yahoo personals account with my info and I've been paying $20 / month for 4 years. Yahoo admits it fruad and will refund the last 3 payments but the banks said tuff...I should have been paying attention to my statements. I bet the'll tell you the same thing.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Even if you didn't know they were shut down, why didn't you look into getting your money back two years ago? I doubt there is anything that can be done about it now.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Before, I just figured that they honored their end by being honest, and just couldn't make the funds work out for another convention, and the ticket said 'no refunds', in the electronic paypal.
Even though we didn't get a convention, I wasn't too upset.

But when I found out they shut themselves down because of lawsuits, Better Business Bearue complaints, and all the fradulant stuff, it's a matter of principle now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks