Bang & Olafsen

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg W L, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Greg W L

Greg W L Agent

Don't hear much about this brand these days. I was recently over at a relatives and they had a BEOSYSTEM 9500 I think. Looked sleek, sounded Ok, but I think the thing cost a fortune. Are they the Bose of Europe, or a legitimate brand these days?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Do a search, there was a post comparing them to Bose recently. While I like their stuff, I feel it is WAY overpriced for what you get, but their designs are very unique. They cater to a market that is looking for style and brand name recognition (status) more than all out sound.
    Anyone ever notice the B&O stuff that seems to often be in the apartments on Friends? They don't even LISTEN to music...
    It's OlUfsen.
    Bang & Olufsen

3. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

That's a good one - 'Bose of Europe' - you really may have hit the nail on the head.

Bose is a total phoney - that is, unless you like 815 foot violins that curve behind you.

B&O was last a division of Philips/NL. What it is now, I don't know. But they somehow got the idea that accurate sound reproduction was something that came very much LAST as opposed to making some kind of design that might be better suited to dinnerware, bathroom utilities, etc.

The irony of it all is that Scandinavia was the home of functionality and nothing in the 'design' of B&O - to my knowledge - was ever a part of the functionality of 'high fidelity' (garbage in, garbage out).

Basically it has been a company that played around with visual design and somehow Elvis still somehow came out sounding something like Elvis.

But Bose doesn't 'look' as good - never mind the 'sound.'

4. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Here is the reply I made in the other thread.

5. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I've thought that their TV's looked pretty darn cool too.

6. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

7. Gregory F

Gregory F Auditioning

I always liked B&Os turnatables. Extremely light tracking weights. Records stayed in nice shape. Their problem was they were the only ones to make a cartridge for their tonearms. They did have 3 or 4 levels of cartridges though. I still have one although it is in the closet.

There other equipment seemed mid-range with a highend price.

They have always had interesting style. Think of it as art that plays music and you will understand the pricing.

Greg

8. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Jack: I can't disagree with you on either point.

My first memory of a consumer grade linear arm is also the Rabco. But I also have memories of them not always working as spec'd (sticks, skips, etc.) My point was meant to say that the B&O linear tables were fairly reliable, especially in comparison to others available at the time. (I own a B&O TX-2 that is almost 15 years old, give or take. I recently put a new cartridge and platter belt on it and it still works great!)

Regarding the speakers, while I do agree with you (lousy is lousy), I guess that I lean to the opposite point of view. I have yet to really run into a lousy sounding active design, including the B&O versions (unfortunately, running into lousy passive designs is way too easy IMO.) I freely admit (as I mentioned above) that the B&O isn't a giant killer. But when compared against speakers of similar sizes, I believe they hold up very well. IMO, easliy besting anything Bose offers from the Acoustimass series (especially with the knowledge that sometimes Bose doesn't drive their demos with the same stuff you take home.)

9. Michael WB

Michael WB Auditioning

Let's get one thing straight - B&O was never a part of Philips. B&O is listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchance.
    Over the years B&O and Philips worked clossely together and Philips did own stock in B&O.
    B&O have used and probably still uses a lot Philips components but so does a lot of other manufacturers even some considered high-end.
    Calling B&O the Bose of Europe is not fair (to B&O) they have very different philosofies. Bose tries to hide the soundsystem B&O does the opposite.
    The goal for B&O is to make quality components, with decent sound that are easy to use and look good and they have been doing so for many years.
    Can you get better sound for the same, yes you can but you will probably end up with a lot of ugly boxes and cables cluttering up your livingroom and strangely some people don't like that!
    In Denmark where I live it's not unusual for my parents generation to still be using the B&O systems they bought in the late sixties or early seventies, how many people do you know using 25-35 years old Sony, Denon or any other mainstream components?
    And no I don't have a B&O system because I can get better sound for the same money and being single I don't have to consider WAF [​IMG]

10. Lyle Schenher

Hi, does anyone have an opinion on B&O CD players...

I was fortunate to get a B&O CD-X player for free last summer. This unit was made in 1986 and still works fine.

Surprising the heck out of me is that it sounds as good or better than my new Panasonic RP-91 for 2 channel music cd's when played through the same pre-amp, and speakers.

It looks totally unique.

Lyle.