Bang for the Buck

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Keiwana, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Keiwana

Keiwana Stunt Coordinator

I am considering purchasing a receiver in the near future. My budget is from $750-$1200.

What will be a more viable option, buying a $1200 receiver or going with a less expensive receiver and adding an external amp for better 2 channel sound.

Here are some combinations I have been considering:

1. Kenwood 7070($300)/adcom GFA 555II($450)= $750.
    2. HK 320 receiver($389)/ adcom GFA 555II amp($450)=$840.
    3. HK 520 receiver($489)/adcom GFA 555II amp ($450)=$950

4. HK 525 receiver ($750)/adcom GFA 555II ($450)=$1200
    5. HK 7200 receiver $1200
    6. PioneerElite 45 reciver($820)/adcom GFA 555II ($450)=1270

My Speakers will be Athena Tech SF2 Front & Rear; I am undecided about the center & sub.

Any other recommendation gladly accepted [​IMG]

2. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Ok , you asked for recommendations . I'll gladly give you mine. I would go with a less expensive receiverm my choice would be the HK 325. The amplifier section in the Harmon Kardon is so good you may never feel the need for more . They excell in both movie and music reproduction particularly in bass reproduction. For speakers you have made an excellent choice as well . The Athena F-2's are without a doubt the best value in floor standers on the market right now. Build quality , fit and finish are unbelievable for a speaker in this price range and with the dual 8" woofers you won't be pressed to add a sub right away. For the center I'd get the matching Athena center to keep the front stage pans as seamless as possible. For a subwoofer when you do add one you'll want something that will be a signifigant step up from the F-2's. The Athena 10 incher, as good as it is, will not be good enough. I'd look at an SVS either cylinder or box, I like the PB1 or the 25-31PCi . I recently replaced my Onkyo receivers with HK's and love them , for speakers I run all Sound Dynamics , discontinued but designed by the same guy who designed the Athena line, and naturally I run SVS subs. You've chosen very well IMHO [​IMG] Exactly what I would have picked[​IMG]

3. Dennis_Pow

Dennis_Pow Auditioning

What would you use for surrounds to go with the athena asf-2's and center?

I am going to look into these speakers in the next few weeks, are these to big for a living room that is about 18 X 18 foot room.

Also would this work well with a Denon 2803?

Dennis

4. Keiwana

Chris,
    Thanks for the recommendation. I have another question. Will adding a external amp give me better sound? I have heard that the HK 320 only rates 55 watts a channel.

5. Keiwana

Dennis,

I will be using the Athena asf2 for for front and rear.