What's new

Bang for the Buck (1 Viewer)

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
I am considering purchasing a receiver in the near future. My budget is from $750-$1200.

What will be a more viable option, buying a $1200 receiver or going with a less expensive receiver and adding an external amp for better 2 channel sound.

Here are some combinations I have been considering:

1. Kenwood 7070($300)/adcom GFA 555II($450)= $750.
2. HK 320 receiver($389)/ adcom GFA 555II amp($450)=$840.
3. HK 520 receiver($489)/adcom GFA 555II amp ($450)=$950

4. HK 525 receiver ($750)/adcom GFA 555II ($450)=$1200
5. HK 7200 receiver $1200
6. PioneerElite 45 reciver($820)/adcom GFA 555II ($450)=1270

My Speakers will be Athena Tech SF2 Front & Rear; I am undecided about the center & sub.

Any other recommendation gladly accepted :)

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Ok , you asked for recommendations . I'll gladly give you mine. I would go with a less expensive receiverm my choice would be the HK 325. The amplifier section in the Harmon Kardon is so good you may never feel the need for more . They excell in both movie and music reproduction particularly in bass reproduction. For speakers you have made an excellent choice as well . The Athena F-2's are without a doubt the best value in floor standers on the market right now. Build quality , fit and finish are unbelievable for a speaker in this price range and with the dual 8" woofers you won't be pressed to add a sub right away. For the center I'd get the matching Athena center to keep the front stage pans as seamless as possible. For a subwoofer when you do add one you'll want something that will be a signifigant step up from the F-2's. The Athena 10 incher, as good as it is, will not be good enough. I'd look at an SVS either cylinder or box, I like the PB1 or the 25-31PCi . I recently replaced my Onkyo receivers with HK's and love them , for speakers I run all Sound Dynamics , discontinued but designed by the same guy who designed the Athena line, and naturally I run SVS subs. You've chosen very well IMHO :emoji_thumbsup: Exactly what I would have picked:)

Dennis_Pow

Auditioning
What would you use for surrounds to go with the athena asf-2's and center?

I am going to look into these speakers in the next few weeks, are these to big for a living room that is about 18 X 18 foot room.

Also would this work well with a Denon 2803?

Dennis

Keiwana

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,
Thanks for the recommendation. I have another question. Will adding a external amp give me better sound? I have heard that the HK 320 only rates 55 watts a channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks