What's new

Bang for the Buck Bookshelves (1 Viewer)

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
I second Axiom...and you can't lose with free shipping and a 30 day moneyback guarantee. In the $500 range I would recommend either the M22's or the M40's.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Martice,
I still haven't built my own pair of A/V-1's so Danny is sending me a kit with the new drivers! :)
BTW, I spoke with Danny today and I think I need to talk to you and Rob Lloyd offline real soon!
Brian

Martice

Screenwriter
I thought you would've finished those by now. Then again, I guess the customers come first right? Speaking of Rob, he's finishing my speakers for me. My last visit with the Auto body mechanic was a little shaky and although he was willing to do it, he had a lot of questions about the primer and sorts. I felt that if he wasn't sure what to do, then I'd better have someone who at least has painted MDF board before to paint them.

Anyway, it's good to hear from you as it's been a while. Send me a e-mail to talk privately.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
I agree with Neil regarding the PSB Stratus Minis. They're really really good for the price, for a commercially made speaker, but its still not exactly a "budget" speaker. Hell, its PSB's flagship bookshelf/standmounted speaker! IMHO it images better than the Stratus Goldi, while throwing an equally convincing soundstage and is marginally clearer too, but lacking the dynamics and bass obviously. The MSRP is however $999 I believe, so it will probably be out of the budget for a "bang for the buck" speaker.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Since Martice had PSB Goldi's and now has the A/V-1+'s I think it's a pretty safe bet that the A/V-1+'s mop the floor with the Stratus Mini's and still beat them for "bang for the buck". Hell, I think the A/V-1's would do that as well.

Brian

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
That's an advantage of living in Canada. They go for cdn$1000 a pair, or us$625 with the exchange rate.

Martice

Screenwriter
The MSRP is however $999 I believe, so it will probably be out of the budget for a "bang for the buck" speaker.
Could you imagine what you could get for the price of $1,000 in DIY? Infact, I brought home 3 matching AV1+'s (unfinished cabinets) home for less then that.

For those that are reading these posts I would like to reiterate that I think my former speakers the PSB Goldi's are wonderful speakers but the difference in detail retrieval, clarity, quality bass(down to 60hz), pace and liveliness were startling when I compared the two. I have spent time with the 281's and have owned both the PSB Goldi's and the Paradigm Ref 100's and both offer tremendous performance for the commercial cost. However, when compared to the AV1+ in all except bass and dynamics, I strongly preferred the sound of the GR's.

What do my findings prove or how much weight does it hold when it comes down to you bringing a pair home to your house? NOT A DAMN THING!! However, for the price that these things are offered for and especially if you can build the cabinets and crossovers yourself, (unlike me and god bless Brian Bunge for building my cabinets) it would be considered foolish to ignore these wonderful speakers that have won over the hearts of all who have purchased them. The quality parts, the sound and the price all make the GR Research stuff worth considering.

Are these the speakers for you? Maybe or maybe not but for the above reasons I think they should be on your short list of "BANG FOR THE BUCK" speakers.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Jack if you're still there, I still have a strong feeling that the M8a's will be better than any of the choices we have been discussing. Even though no one can vouch for their performance yet... if I had started my speaker project this year instead of last, I would be building those (I built tower Kit281s). However, the design isn't exactly available yet and I don't even know if it's finished. The driver quality, along with the extreme low-frequency/high-order crossover, are both very appealing.

Jack_P

Grip
I am still here I have been watching this thread closely. Only Problem is I have very limited space to place the speakers away from the wall. With that in mind I am still looking closely at the av1's and kit-81m's.

David*RT

Stunt Coordinator
I third the Ascend Acoustics recommendation.
Look at Audio Review for ratings. They have an unprecedented 4.96/5 rating.
"The Sensible Sound" has a rave review coming out where the reviewer puts them in competition with some of the finest multi-kilo buck HT/music systems he's heard.
I think they're still having their summer sale.

Phuong

Stunt Coordinator
My vote goes to Paradigm's performance series. For smaller rooms, the Atoms can't be beat. For larger rooms, get the Titans. Each of them, either solo, or paired with a subwoofer, provide great bang for the buck sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks