What's new

Bang for the Buck Bookshelves (1 Viewer)

Jack_P

Grip
This is my first post on a HT forum, I am more of a car audio guy, so bear with me.

Right now I am looking to upgrade the speakers in my stereo setup in my room. Right now I have some jbl hls 610's running off an onkyo 50x2 reciever, which might be upgraded in the future. I am also going to get a subwoofer for this setup, but thats another topic another day.

These speakers will be connected to a cd player, and a computer. No use in having two different stereos in the same room. The way music sounds through these speakers is of greater importance than the computer duties(games,mp3s,movies).

These speakers will be placed near a wall, I think I can give them 8-12 inches behind for a rear facing port. I dont know if this is enough.

I am pretty much open to any options. I am thinking about trying DIY kits. I have made boxes in the past(for car audio subs a shiva and a brahma), and I can sauder. But I am certainly not a craftsman to any extent. However I certainly wouldn't mind giving it a try.

I guess you guys are going to want to know a budget, well I dont really have a set one. I guess right now I am looking in the $500ish range for speakers, but thats certainly not set in stone though. I want something that will last for a few years.

Well I have done a little research on my own so here are the results:

Magie MMG's Planar would be interesting, but more than 1 foot from the wall is not realistic in my situation.

I have thought about kits from adire and gr research. I just hope if I get them I like them; though the economics of this route are very attractive. And I wouldn't mind learning a little either...

Swan Divas - $400 and tons of praise/hype(front facing port)

Of course there are the Paradigm, Axioms, ... the list goes on.

-Jack

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
GR-Research AV-1 or Adire Kit-81

Both are around $300 for kit, add the $20 for MDF and paint and you've got excellent sound while saving a bundle.

My PC uses JBL Studio S38s which I get very good results with. In comparison to the more high end loudspeakers I'd say the sound of my S38s is a bit grainy and lacks depth but overall I quite enjoy them for Mp3s and DVDs. Of course I havn't singled out the problem to the S38s themselves yet since I am using a PC with a sound card and separate amp.

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
Try selahaudio.com. I built three of his RC2s and love them. Under a 100 dollars a piece. He also has several more kits coming out soon. Check the madisound board.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Paradigm Atoms, there are very good reviews about them. I would see also the Klipsch's, specially the Reference line.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
You should definitely build your speakers if you've built sub boxes before. In general DIY speakers significantly outperform commercial speakers for the same cost. I own the Kit281s and estimate I would have had to spend at least three times as much to get comparable quality in a commercial speaker.
At a $500 budget consider the GR AV-3 and Kit281. Thomas W and Jon Marsh have a real-nice-looking design which would probably cost around $400 to build, so you might want to look into that. See this thread: http://www.htguide.com/CFBoards/inde...estTimeout=500

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
I think the kits are hard to beat when it comes to "bang for the buck". I chose the GR Research Paradox 1s based on the recommendations of many Audio Asylum users. I couldn't be more pleased. They beat my PSB Image 4Ts in every respect for less money.

-Mike...

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
GR's Paradox 1 is no longer available AFAIK, but I will second the AV1s!! I have not heard finer speakers for the price.

Jack_P

Grip
Well it looks like I am taking the plunge into DIY speakers! Right now it seems that gr-research av1 and adire kit KIT81(M) are in the forfront.
Thanks A lot,
Jack

Martice

Screenwriter
That would be one for the ages but as far as I'm concerend the GR Research AV1+'s are one of the best purchases I made this year along with the Sony TA-P9000es pre amp/switcher. I used to own PSB Goldi's and although they are wonderful speakers in their own right, I found the AV1+'s to be a lot more 'articulate' and 'alive' in it's musical display of the midrange and upper frequencies. I've also been hearing that with the new crossover and drivers for the current AV1+'s go a little deeper and sound better(hmmm?)then the ones I have but I don't worry about that much because my sub handles the low stuff below 60hz anyway and I'm happy with the current ones I have now. Also, the new cabinets have a cool grill that connects to the cabinet via powerful internal magnets built into the cabinets.
You can read my full review right below:
AV1+ Review
ALSO
Here's another very well written review comparing the AV1 to various other speakers below:
Speaker Shootout

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to be build a couple of pairs of the M8a's that were mentioned above. Thomas and Jon rave about these so if its good enough for them i know I'll be happy:)

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Well, they use the Hi-Vi 8" woofer and the Vifa XT25 tweeter. Jon has said the woofer is extremely linear and is more transparent than any cone he's heard. And of course you've heard all the good stuff about that tweeter. They use an 8th (!) order crossover at 1.25KHz, which is very low. Other information can be found on the www.htguide.com DIY forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks