What's new

Bang for buck... (1 Viewer)

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Okay - gonna have pics soon of a buddy's sub... But in the meantime, I'm gonna spend some cash on myself toward the end of the month...

Now, I've been thinking (dangerous concept...). I might be able to get louder/lower making a new sub for my TV room, or would I be better off adding a BFD (which I can use with other subs as I upgrade) to try to tame what I think is a room peak (have moved stuff around as furniture and room shape permits, and I still get a hump at around 60hz...). Current sub (in a 11x14 apartment living room) is a Tiny Mity, aided by four bass shakers in the sofa.

Hmmm... Anyone try a BFD with bass shakers? I know they've got a built in hump around 50-55hzish...

Joel X

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't tried to BFD the bass shakers yet it is about middle on the project list. I would like to hear someones experience with it though. Overall it seems like there is no downside to it since one channel of the BFD is for the subs and the other is not doing anything.

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Well, I think I'm going to get a BFD then... And use it later when I get a "real" sub...

Now, just thinking here - Would it be okay to build a sub with a little bit of a hump in it, trading that off to go lower louder, and then trying to cut the hump? Some of the plots using WinISD look interesting when you trade off going theoretically flat for a lower tuning point.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I use a BFD to control my sealed Tempest and a Shiva tube. The Shiva tube is tuned low to extend beyond the Tempest. It's not necessarily flat but it's only used during movies for the extension. I'm running 6 bass shakers using 50 Hz FMOD's in line to a separate amp for those. Seems to work pretty good. BFD's are easily a worthwhile investment. I particularly like the fact that you can have separate control over two subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks