What's new

Bands/Singers on DVD that blew you away! (1 Viewer)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
I just received two that I am odds with The Ventures: Golden Hits and TOTO:25th anniversary. I am used to "Fleetwod Mac:The Dance" and "The Bee-Gees:One Night Only" which are in 1.33:1 but with my wide screen HDTV since day, one I have stretched it. I was in 7th heaven listening and seeing the guys that came out with mega hit *Africa* and *Roseanna*. The band that I fell sleep with as a teenager while albums were playing, now their albums right in front of me in stereo. I have about 60 on DVD but these 2 really blew me away. Yours?:)

Jon Sheedy

Stunt Coordinator
Electric Light Orchestra's Zoom Tour Live is BY FAR my favorite concert DVD. The audio/video, production values are top-notch and the performances are incredible. This DVD is the concert DVD that I measure all others by.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Of course there's the awesome Eagles "Hell Freezes Over".
Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" has outstanding sound quality and very good video. Another of my favorites is David Gilmore (Pink Floyd) live in concert, which is again excellent sound quality.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Toto tends to put me asleep, too. ;)

I have Dan's 2AN, but can't dig the surround mix. The sonics themselves, however, are real nice.

The DVD that most "blew me away" is King Crimson's Deja VROOM, with double-trio blasting away in DTS. It was one of my first concert DVDs, so the impact was quite something. Better DVDs have come out since (including Crimson's latest), but that one hit me that hardest.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Is that Ventures disc a recent incarnation or classic footage? I have a laserdisc of the Ventures live in Japan in 1966 that is great!

I recommend Ween Live in Chicago 2004 (it also comes with an abridged CD), Pavement Slow Buildings, and the new Pixies DVD. For "oldies" acts, you can't beat the Led Zeppelin DVD, Pink Floyd at Pompeii, the Who's Kids Are Alright, and Frank Zappa's Baby Snakes.

AricB

Second Unit
Pixies on dvd, far better than i had expected.
Steve Vai-astoria live
Joe Satriani- in san fran
Reverend Horton Heat-live in color
Pink Floyd-Pulse on Laserdisc was amazing
Talking Heads-Stop making sense
Depeche Mode 101 and Live in Paris
NIN-all that could have been

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Concert DVD's have become my favorite choice for HT entertainment. After all, they combine music and movies. The best of both worlds. Many here would disagree, but that's O.K. Toto's 25th is excellent as is Steely Dan's 2AN. Two surprises are Three Dog Night in Tennessee and Ringo's New All-Star Band. Very enjoyable. Frampton in Detroit (loaned this to my brother and he stopped returning my calls!), Carol King in Concert and The Moody Blues/Royal Albert Hall are also worth the money. Good one's are a joy but buying these is a real crap shoot. Just because the band/music is good doesn't mean the concert is. I hope this thread has legs because I need lots more suggestions!

Sean A

Stunt Coordinator
My faves on DVD :
Led Zeppelin
Four Flicks -The Rolling Stones
American Folk Blues Festival Vol 1 & 2
Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix

(And of course The Last Waltz, and Stop Making Sense ).

But what about all the great stuff not available : such as Tami Show, Shidig, Don Kirschner's Rock Concert, In Concert , Late Night with David Sanborn, Later with Jools Holland , and especially the best music flick to NEVER recieve a legitimate home video release, Ladies and Gentlemen, The Rolling Stones ?

Tim Dogg

Agent
Nine Inch Nails -- All that could have been DTS Version

Trent Rezner did a totally awsome job mixing this double dvd set.There was a dolby version and a DTS version.I prefer the dts vesion but never really did a comparison.
If youve ever seen NIN in concert its pretty amazing show to say the least and this dvd captures what its like if youve never been.Pretty crazy light show and the sound is awsome with alot of low bass to vibrate your room.

AricB

Second Unit
totally agree with the NIN. Only disappointment is its spread over 2 discs, 1 would be alot cooler.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
Dave Matthews Band: The Central Park Concert

Why?
Great show.
  • Disc One
    1. Don’t Drink The Water
    2. So Much To Say
    3. Too Much
    4. Granny
    5. Crush
    6. When The World Ends
    7. Dancing Nancies
    8. Warehouse
    9. Ants Marching
    10. Rhyme And Reason
    11. Two Step

Disc Two
    1. Help My Self
    2. Cortez, The Killer
    3. Jimi Thing
    4. What Would You Say
    5. Where Are You Going
    6. All along the watchtower
    7. Grey Street
    8. What you are
    9. Stay (washing Time)
Great aduio--DD5.1 and PCM stereo
Great video--Shot by 30 Hi-Def cameras, anamorphic 16:9

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The best music-on-DVD release of all time has got to be the 8 disc box set, PIZZICATO FIVE - THE BAND OF 20TH CENTURY but it has 3 strikes against it:
  1. It's an expensive import
  2. It's already out of print
  3. Sadly, none of you have ever heard of the Pizzicato Five :frowning:[/list=1]

Carson E

Agent
One of the best is Roger Waters - "In The Flesh-Live"
Really suprized with the DD quality and the quality of the band lineup.
Now if Gilmore would get off his lazy behind and get "Pulse" and "Delicate Sound Of Thunder" out I would be content...for awhile. :)

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
Eric Clapton's "One More Car One More Rider" the sound on this disc is just fantastic
Gov't Mule's "The Deepest End" name a Bass Player and they are on this disc
Bela Fleck & The Flecktones "Live At The Quick" awesome musicians
Stevie Ray Vaughan "Live At The El Mocambo" Intimate hot sweaty guitar GOD
James Taylor "Live At The Beacon Theater" another great sound recording

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor

Negatory, my good man! Though I don't know a lot of their stuff, what I have heard has been tremendous fun. I expect a live document would be even more so.

Before I get to some adiditonal suggestions, let me add to the chorus regarding both Stop Making Sense and The Last Waltz. Both great concert documents and great films.

Some that haven't been mentioned that provide excellent records of the live experience:

The Cure - Trilogy
Peter Gabriel - Growing Up Live
Monterey Pop (Criterion)
Live From Bonnaroo Music Festival 2002 (better than the recent 2003)

Discs from the Allman Brothers, Springsteen (both live sets) and Midnight Oil are also very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks