Banding on KP61XBR300

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kirk Mango, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Kirk Mango

Kirk Mango Stunt Coordinator

I own a Sony DVP S9000ES connected to a 61" Sony XBR300 and for the last year and 1/2 have been trying to figure out what is causing the Horizontal "banding" I see in many DVD's. It looks very similar to shadows that appear as horizontal bands or streaks across the TV when you have contrasts of light and dark in scenes or there is artificial light conditions as in the tent scene of Gladiator. Usually this occurs when a lighter object comes into view over a darker background or darker object over a lighter background. The difference in light & dark does not have to be dramatic for this to occur. It can be reproduced every time on the DVD. These lines move sometimes and then disappear as the scene changes. Another interesting component to this is that I only see them in Progressive mode, when playing the same scene in Interlace they do not seem to be apparent. Was wondering if anyone has noticed this type of problem with there set up or am I the only one. Sony says I am the only one. I have read some of the other posts on Sony's TV's having a banding issue but they seem to be talking about a colored band and not on my Rear projection TV. My bands are more of a shadow or greyish color, really no color at all. Also, there does not seem to be as much of a problem with animated films like Dinasaur from Disney.

Kirk

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

I know exactly what you are talking about. And all TV's do this when the brightness is too high.

If I am reading you right, you are saying if you have a all black background, and the credits roll up, then to the right and left you see a white streak or "shimmer" of white across the black background to the edge of the screen. Basically you just need to turn the brightness down.

I was watching pitch black, and it was very noticeable. Every time they had a light, or their faces were in front of a dark background I would see the "shimmer" to the right that was the same color as their face. I turned the brightness down and it went away.

3. Kirk Mango

Kirk Mango Stunt Coordinator

No, the shimmer you are referring to does not sound the same. I have used the Avia disk to tune my TV and my brightness has already been turned down from factory specs. (it comes way to high from the factory). The bands I am talking about can occur with light or dark backgrounds and disappear in a few seconds maybe 2 at most. I might get them in a scene of the sky. Very light bands, most people would not notice they are there they go so quickly. Like in the movie "What women want" there is a scene where the camera pans and a dark bookshelf comes in to screen over a white wall and a shadowee type streaks appear across the screen as soon as the bookshelf comes into the scene. In a moment the scene balances out ant they are gone. Is this the same as the shimmer you describe?

Kirk

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Banding is not normal for the TV ... and it was a big problem for the Sony units in the HS10? series ... same year as your unit.

Do a search ...

Pioneers also did this circa 1995/96 before they fixed it.

I have no idea if there was ever a satisfactory solution. ( I doubt it since there was no retrofit solution on the Pioneers either.)

Regards