What's new

Band of Brothers (1 Viewer)

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Excellent series (which I just saw). However, I have a question about Episode 9 - Why we fight.

It begins with the caption April 11, 1945 and the scene of the string quartet and the men on the balcony. Then it retreats to one month earlier and makes its way back to the starting point. Nixon says that Hitler is dead. However, that didn't occur until April 30th. I'm confused as to the timing here. I haven't been able to locate the book to see the date they found the camp. The date they are standing on the balcony must be after April 30th, not April 11th.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell
I think the war in Europe ended on April 30th. Hitler commited suicide a couple of weeks before the war ended.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich by Wm. Shirer, the definitive history of Nazi Germany, Hitler committed suicide on April 30th.

VE day was in July.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
May 8, 1945 was officially declared VE Day. The Germans surrendered to the Western Allies on May 7th and the Soviet Union on May 8th.

Victory over Japan (VJ Day) was celebrated by the Allies on August 15, 1945 although the formal surrender tendered on the Missouri did not happen until September 2, 1945.

WayneG

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info and the correction. You're right of course that VE Day was in May. I guess I was thinking that Easy Company stayed in Austria through the summer and then were sent back to France.

As for the show, I guess they were just trying to get out information in the condensed format of the show.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
In spite of some liberties taken with the factual events, it's still an awesome series. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

DougKuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Probably is my absolute favorite DVD set/series ever. I have watched it 5 or 6 times through and still get moved by it. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks