Band of Brothers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Nguyen, Sep 19, 2001.

1. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

I'm not sure if this belongs more in the TV forum or software, so sorry mods [​IMG]
    This may have been discussed, but heh...search down since it's not very late...
    Anyhow, has HBO made any announcements to releasing their show Band of Brothers on a DVD set yet? And if so, will it retain it's widescreen (1.85 it appears) aspect ratio and DD 5.1 soundtrack?
    Any release date specified? Guess it's a bit early though since new episodes are still airing, but such a set would be such a perfect gift for a coworker/mentor of mine...

2. Gary Kellerman

Gary Kellerman Stunt Coordinator

I do not know of any release dates for Band of Brothers. Since HBO has been releasing some of their other shows on DVD, I would think that down the road they will certainly release this series. The fact that it is also in widescreen(fullscreen on HBO plus) recorded in D.D. 5.1, and a shared production with Dreamworks would indicate that this series implies a release to DVD down the road. I would not doubt for a moment that it will be anamorphic and have the 5.1 surround track on a DVD release.

3. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Since its Dreamworks, I wonder if it'll have a DTS track?

4. Bryan Farris

Bryan Farris Agent

The other Tom Hanks-produced HBO miniseries, From the Earth to the Moon was released w/ 5.1 even though it was originally created in 2.0.
    I have no doubt that the DVD's will be great! And if I were a betting man ... June 6, 2002 is a Tuesday.

5. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Bryan,
    hmm....never would have even thought of that...quite the opportune coincidence for a release it is too!

6. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

I am gladly surprised that this series is still on schedule even after the tragic events of last week.
    The series has the same look and feel of Saving Private Ryan (for obvious reasons) and it screams of high production values. I will definitely buy this when it comes out.
    If you are not watching Band of Brothers your are missing out on great television.

7. Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel Extra

The first three episodes have been just awesome. I really like this series more than I did Saving Private Ryan. I will pre-order this baby the second it is announced.
    The only semi-real release news I have read about was saying it would be out sometime in December.
    This would make sense by trying to capitalize on the Christmas season. I don't think they would want to wait to long considering it cost $120 million to produce [​IMG]
    hehehe [​IMG] (cool smiley)
    ------------------
    DVD Collection

8. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

9. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I doubt that HBO is going to let BAND OF BROTHERS out of its realm so quickly. Consider THE SOPRANOS...it has taken almost two years to get the second season on DVD, because HBO continues to air the series in repeats. Since the series cost so much, and since exclusive airing on HBO will tend to increase their subscriber base, I think they will hold on to it for several months, if not a year or more.
    BAND OF BROTHERS is airing in high definition, widescreen, and DD 5.1 sound, so I think a DVD set with 16x9 anamorphic widescreen and DD 5.1 is a lock. And if you have any opportunity to see the high-def presentation, do so...it has made my investment in HD gear more than pay for itself.
    - Steve

10. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

The difference is that HBO owns the Sopranos, whereas they do not own Band of Brothers, dreamworks does. It might be released on DVD, and still be presented on HBO periodically. Band of Brothers is the best thing I've ever seen, I dont know if you want to call it a movie or a TV show, but regardless, it makes me proud to be an American.

11. Jon Bell

Jon Bell Stunt Coordinator

I have a question about the widescreen presentation. Why bother to present it in widescreen when the vast majority of viewers do not have widescreen TVs? Personally, I'm watching it in widescreen because I'm used to watching movies that way, but it just seems like a gimmick to me.

12. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

To keep the original aspect ratio. I cant imagine what it would look like in 4:3

13. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    All HBO productions have been shot for widescreen playback for the past couple of years, to ease the transition to high-definition programming (which is 16x9 widescreen, by default). It's not a gimmick...it's the shape of things to come (and some of us are already there.)
    - Steve

14. Brennan Hill

Brennan Hill Stunt Coordinator

15. Dan Wetzel

Dan Wetzel Extra

I sure hope its in widescreen. We can see what we are missing on tv [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DVD Collection