What's new

Band of Brothers, in November, with DTS! (1 Viewer)

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
Nathan,

Aspect: 1.85:1 (or 1.78:1)

TV feel? Perhaps because it is episodic, but I'd say it felt like a very long film.

Script Quality: no contrived dialogue. Cowards, drunks, and heroes all portrayed as they might have been.

Pacing: It, like the pace of actual combat, varies. Different writers, directors, and events contribute to the variety.

Action: a large part of the show, but not all of it, is action. The combat scenes are harrowing and convey the same sense of urgent confusion that BHD showed. BHD was much more non-stop, however. Ten hours would be a little much.

Plot: Following a group of soldiers through the European campaign results in some repetition of themes, but that serves the story. Only one romance comes to mind, and it was definitely a realistic hurried meeting of two souls lost from the world they knew.

Will you like it? I like three of the directors you named. (I dislike Stone for his distortions of history in pursuit of his own agendas.) I thought BoB was excellent and cannot wait to watch a clear dvd with great sound.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Bill, thanks very much for the info. I'm psyched!
Does anyone know how many discs this'll be? 5 or 6, maybe?

Nathan

Don_Houle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
The review on The Digital Bits just confirmed what I expected from HBO with this set! I can't wait to pick this up!

Nathan V, I think Bill said everything that need be said about this great "show". I can't agree more with his description of the story as one LONG film. In my opinion, this series is the single most realistic representation of WWII from the American perspective (no, I wasn't there!). It's a great way to remember those who've fought for the freedoms we enjoy.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I see that David Schwimmer has a role in BoB. Is he good, or is it destracting to see Ross in WWII?

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
I thought he was excellent. But then I don't follow Friends, so his role in that series couldn't really distract me much.

His portrayal of captain Sobel was quite true to the book, IMO. Sobel was a walking disaster in the field and his troops disliked him intensely. Schwimmer did the role justice, I think.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
"Program Rating: A"
- digital bits

WOW!

Don, Bill, Allan, thanks very much for your input. This will be the first time I've blown $100 on a blind dvd.

Am I correct in assuming Ron won't review this one?

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Nathan V: I know that people's tastes can vary widely, but I feel confident in saying that you won't regret making a blind purchase here. I know what you mean when you refer to Made-For-TV production values and feel. This entire series has a real air of authenticity to it and I would wager that when you finish the entire ten-part series you will be moved by the endiing and feel compelled to go back and revisit many parts (esp. the artillery barrage in the Ardennes Forest, Captain Winter's lonely charge against a German held position and many more). That's what I did with the the tapes I made and I still can't wait to get this on DVD.

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Thanks, John, for your input. i'm glad you know what I mean about TV productions, it's pretty hard to explain.
Next to LOTR:EE, this is my most anticipated purchase of the year!

Nathan

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Nathan V: You wont regret it. Band of Brothers is the finest miniseries ever produced for telivision (IMO anyway) in terms of production value, story, acting, you name it... I think it easily stands up there with the great war films.

Brian

Jim Robbins

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the package from Bestbuy.com for $79 with a $25 coupon which makes it $54. Although not every episode is great, on the whole it is the finest docu-drama I have ever seen. Any fan of WWII must have this series. Like others have said, these are real people telling it the way it was not Hollywood. The D day landing and the taking of the field guns(I believe the 2nd and 3rd episode's) are worth the cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks