Band Of Brothers??? HD?? (1 Viewer)

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Sorry Guys,
Just installed the HD last night....
I'm very new to this... :)
Channel 509 is HD HBO, but from what I understand, not everything is aired in HD....
Is there a website that lists what will be aired in HD??
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 7-26-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Oswald Pascual

Second Unit
Real Name
No Name
Simon why in the world would they cut it to 1.85??? That makes no sense at all. If HBO is going to butcher a 2.35 movie why not cut it to 1.78?
------------------
My Home Theater
sign.jpg

My DVD Collection Home Theater Pics
Ozzie

M

MaxY

Actually it was croppeed to 16x9. :)
HBO seems to show no reason or rhyme with what they crop and what they don't.
Generally if it is a new 2:35 movie it will get cropped but many older 2:35 mocies actually air at 2:35.
Don't know what the deal is.
X-men looked F'good other then the cropping.
Steve,
To bad Direct TV does not Offer Showtime as they always show their HD movies OAR.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!

Frank

Stunt Coordinator
Back in March of 2000, Bob Zitter of HBO announced that they would be ending their policy of showing films in the correct aspect ratio and going with pan and scan.
The reason given was that was what their own employees preferred. They have not done any OAR transfers since then.
When you see a movie in OAR on HBO-HD you can be sure the transfer was done before the new p&S policy went into effect.
X-MEN was a pan and scan transfer of a 2.39:1 Panavision film and I thought it looked very poor. The movie on before it called 'Lucas' had a much better image.
Frank

SteveRS

Stunt Coordinator
The LFE finally kicked in when the air invasion began.
Very impressive sound mix with the old planes taking-off and the dynamic soundtrack playing.
The kettle drums are great through the SVS 16-46PC.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
quote: Too bad Direct TV does not Offer Showtime as they always show their HD movies OAR.
[/quote]
MaxY,
Of course, Showtime plays another game with us. A large percentage of their stuff is not true HD, but upconverted stuff. It doesn't look that good (o.k. but not great) on my 110" screen.
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Can someone verify where Band of brothers OAR is 2.35...Since it was a made of HBO mini series I would think it was filmed 1.78....
------------------

M

MaxY

I am sure that Band Of Brothers is 16x9 OAR. I doubt HBO would make it any other way and the framing did look correct.Most times when they crop their 2:35 movies the framing just looks wrong.
I was a little disappointed with BOB so far. I think the only Character they have fully rounded out is Lt Winters. I found the rest of them to be a Blur. This may be intentional though.
The Picture was Fanatastic and the sound was OK.
RAF,
Yeah Showtime does do some of that but most of their New Release movies are true HD. I hope that we see more and more ture HD from them as time movies on.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on September 10, 2001 at 09:05 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks