Band of Brothers DVD - Subtitle Glitch?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Hardiman, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Sean Hardiman

Hi everyone,

Just started watching Band of Brothers but have found a nagging problem that has passed through the entire first episode. During text sequences (i.e. London, England) or date screens (June 4, 1944), I am getting French subtitles underneath. This also occured during the opening interviews with the real members of easy company. I have the subtitles turned off on the DVD player and when I watched the initial chunk of the DVD on my computer with WinDVD3, I didn't have this problem. I'm guessing there's a problem with the DVD player, but I'm not sure what else to try. I get no subtitles during scenes, only during text screens - which seems really strange.

It's an older Toshiba (we've had it about three years or so) and it's had problems with the Spy Game DVD as well - I understand there have been more then a few problems with Toshiba DVD players. Its' model number is SD-3107C.

Any ideas on what I can try?

Sean Hardiman

2. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

It sounds like a player issue not the DVD's as I am know watching these DVD's for the first time and I do not get the sub-titles you are getting. I own a Panasonic RP91.

As for the Band of The Brothers DVD's quality, I must say that the audio & video are just incredible, and having watched the HD presentation on HBO I am still impressed with the DVD's! It's great for me because I consider this the BEST mini-series I have ever seen and it ranks up there overall for best films as well!

If anyone is on the fence about these DVD's do yourself a favor and grab them ASAP! They are THAT GOOD!!!

3. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Had you selected the subtitles at some point beforehand (and then turned them off)? The same thing happens on my Sony 9000ES -- dunno why it happens either, but the only solution in my case has been to stop the disc, and re-load it, which seems to reset this quirk (until the next time I flip on the subtitles).

4. Sean Hardiman

Hi guys,

Looks like it's a player specific thing - the subtitles don't show up on WinDVD. They show up as soon as you load the DVD. I went through and made sure subtitles and captioning were all turned off prior to starting it up, but they show up with the subtitles in the off position as far as the player is concerned. Guess I'll have to live with it. The interesting thing is that the French subtitles don't show up in the Language Menu...are they a Canadian only add-on?

As for the DVD's, they are AWESOME. The B-17 flight at the beginning of the second episode was unbelievable. I truly felt like things were happening before I could process them. Just amazing - if you have any interest in WWII, get this set. If you're a history teacher, get this set and show it to your students - it gives great perspective.

Thanks for the help,

Sean Hardiman