What's new

Band of Brothers, Dolby Digital Question (1 Viewer)

Marc Go

Agent
I saw BOB again last night, terrific show even in light of the recent tragedies. My question is the Dolby Digital that it was supposed to be broadcast in (it did say "where available"). I had my HT up and running (Onkyo 595) and I was not able to get the DD signal. I flipped around from Dolby Pro Logic II to TV Logic to all channel stereo. I only get the DD signal when I use a DVD. Is there something that I need to set up to get DD from a TV program? I have cable and am using a cable box (not digital) and a hi-fi VCR. Maybe this is my problem, my cable system cannot decode DD. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Gene Severn

Stunt Coordinator
You need a cable box with a digital out. We recently upgraded to digital cable with a Scientific Atlantic Explorer 3100 box. It has a digital audio coax out which I fed to my Denon 3300. DD sound is awesome on HBO!!!

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I watched it on the Directv HD HBO channel, and it was fantastic! Once you get the DD working, that is some of the lowest bass I've ever heard from TV. Unbelievable! There were parts where it got so intense that I noticed my heart was beating funny.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
All I can say is please hurry up and finish airing. Then bring on the DVD box set
biggrin.gif

------------------
Dustin
[email protected]
My Adire Tempest Sonosub

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Agreed, this miniseries is just incredible, especially in DD 6.1 thanks to my Denon 3802.
Dustin B, you'll be waiting a long time, it's a 10 part miniseries!
eek.gif

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yes, BOB has some tremendous sound, even though I don't get a DD signal and had to run it through the RXV1 Yam, DSP program. The low end was quite dramatic and definitely woke up the SVS. Gotta look into how to get a DD signal...... BTW... great series. Hats off to the producers.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

It is true that you have to have digital cable, but your cable provider must also provision their facilities to support DD5.1. My box has a DD5.1 digital coax output that I've run to my Denon 3300, but I don't get DD from it because Comcast doesn't deliver DD5.1 signals, in my service area, even though I have digital cable service.
------------------

Chris V

Grip
Real Name
chris
Scotty, I know what you mean, however, I am in an even worse situation. I have digital cable through Charter communications. The sad part is that they are renting out the "cheap" boxes that dont even have the coax out. Pretty lame. It has the place where the connector should be, but there is nothing there. I asked them about it, and they looked at me as if to say, "why would you ever want that?"
All this not to mention a very pixelated picture on most all channels. But I gusee I will live....

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
BOB is done right in Widescreen 7.1 digital format.I was setting up my RC5000 with help from a HT forum member and remote guru and one of the first codes reset my sub setting on the Ref30 so there was no subs. Very realistice sound of bullets wizzing but no low bass. After some frantic troubleshooting I went into the Ref30 menu and found the problem the menu said no sub. When I hit the button to sub all h!#%*ll broke lose the Servo 15 and the 20-39 kicked in right at the first battle scene and I swear I thought I was being attacked!!Leave it to Speilberg and Hanks to give us great content and great formats!
------------------

Stephen C

Grip
I have a Dish 6000. I occasionally receive HBO movies in DD 5.1 -- but not always, and BOB has never come through in 5.1. Is there something I'm missing?

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Stephen, I are you watching it on 300? Different HBO channels show it differently. One of them shows it in P&S with no DD. Watch it Sunday night when the new episode premiers on HBO. I think its on at 8pm. That one should be DD on your dish.

Stephen C

Grip
Keith, I'm watching it on the HD channel, which is coming across in HD, so I should be able to get the 5.1 too. I'll see if it happens again this evening.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
I forgot to mention above that I too have Charter for my cable service and, even though the box they supply touts DOLBY DIGITAL logo, it must be into analog since that is the only hookups. Pitiful. Charter is a poor service compared to what I had in Memphis (Time Warner I think). As I mentioned, running mine through a Yamaha RXV1 sounds good but I am sure it could sound a lot better with a 5.1 feed. Charter really thinks they are advanced in their service and has not got a clue what you are talking about when you ask these "digital" questions. I sure has me looking into a satelite system.
------------------
"I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethru gleams that untraveled world whose margin fades forever and forever...."

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Stephen I also have a dish 6000 and am watching on the HBO HD channel and I am getting WideScreen and DD 5.1 do you have a coax or optical cable running to your RX-V1?I used to have a RX-V1 and always got 5.1 when it was being broadcast.
------------------

Stephen C

Grip
Steve, this is like taking your car to the mechanic. Last Sunday evening BOB came though in glorious DD 5.1 on my RX-995. I'll keep an eye on it.

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I had Time Warner cable. I upgraded to digital cable. I got a cable box with the DD logo but without a digital output. I went to their local service center and switched out my box for one with a coaxial digital out.
When I hooked this box up to my system, I would get an analog R/L output on channels < 100 and a digital output from channels > 100. I would also get a digital signal on 'some' of the channels < 100 and an analog signal on 'some' channels > 100.
What this means is that depending on what channel I was watching, when a changed the channel, I might have to change the input on my Pre/Pro from digital to analog or vice versa.
This was a pain in the arse, and made my wife very frustrated.
To make things worse, I NEVER once received a Dolby Digital signal.
I now have a Satellite dish and a DirecTivo and couldn't be happier.

Stacy Huff

Second Unit
I also look forward to the DVD box set, but I'm afraid that it will never look as good as it does in HD. Simply incredible. Worth the price of admission.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks