Bananna plugs: worth their meager investment?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by MichaelDDD, Oct 23, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I've never used them before. They are a cheap investment.

Short of saving you ten seconds per connection of time hooking them up, do they have any benefits at all, or do they "just look nice and neat?"

I'm preparing an order for some 12 gauge wire and stand spikes from PartsExpress and am thinking of adding a bunch of bananna plugs.

Thank you.

2. Cagri

Cagri Second Unit

3. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Thanks, Cagri.

I just wonder if any plug can provide as good a connection as bare wire into the terminal can?

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

imo, the only real benefit is convenience. i've never heard a diff between bare and banana - so i go for convenience.

but ... i gotta admit ... they *do* look pretty cool too. [​IMG]

5. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Heh, yeah, I guess the cool factor IS there. [​IMG] Thanks, "SuperTed." [​IMG]

6. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

I love the convenience and the look. There's no advantage other than that. The banana connectors I use are a little different and were a little more expensive. They are made by - I think, it's been so long since I bought them or even looked at them - Monster Cable. $25 a pair at the time; I don't know if they're made anymore. These feature a screw that you turn to make a really tight, almost totally pull-proof connection. They stay tight too. Gold plated. Look nice.

7. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Another "yes" vote. Thanks, Alan. My PartsExpress order is growing by the day...they have so much cool stuff...and I need it all. Yah, I need ALL of it. [​IMG]

8. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

I went with the bananas because my bare-wire connection would occasionally come loose from the 5-way binding post. The convenience is great, but it also gives me peace of mind that a stray wire strand won't being touching the wrong terminal !!!

9. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Yeah, for a few bucks, the peace of mind is worth it.

I've never had a bare-wire connection come loose, though I'm sure it could happen. And the "stray wire strand" problem could definitely happen.

10. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

Oh... I forgot to mention that the Bananas can be real handy if you plan to bi-wire. Depending on the speaker wire gage, you may be able to get both wires into a single plug which, of course, makes the connection much cleaner.