Bananas, spades, pins, or bare wire?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor Chan, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Victor Chan

Victor Chan Stunt Coordinator

I know what termination that people choose to go with is usually personal prefernce, but are there any inherent advantages for going with one over another? What are the pluses and minuses of each?

2. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

bare wire is cheaper, so thats how i go [​IMG]

3. Ron_L

Ron_L Second Unit

some people argue that adding banana plugs and sorts interferes with the signal. I highly doubt it and if it does, it will show up on a scope not detected by the ears

4. Jeff AW

Jeff AW Stunt Coordinator

Purists say bare wire because of the direct contact of the actual speaker wire to the binding post.

Personally I use banana plugs all the way around. To me they both sound the same and I am looking for convenience. Banana's are just easier.

5. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

Banana plugs are nice if you have to move or swap your speakers alot. That way you're not breaking off any wire strands everytime you reconnect. IMHO they are a convenience item only and will not afford any appreciable difference in sound quality.

6. Victor Chan

Thanks for the replies. I was actually more interested in the differences between spades and banana plugs since those who choose to terminate their wires typically end up in one of these two camps. Banana plugs offer the convenience of being able to plug in and out easily, but I'v heard that spades offer better contact and thus preferable unless you plan to plug and unplug your wires often. Any truth to this?

7. Ben_wood

Ben_wood Stunt Coordinator

Victor, I agree with Tyler-banana plugs are convenience devices, I personally go with bare wire connections - cheap and "straight wire". I would guess that a spade connection would be the next lowest in signal loss.

8. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

Signal loss between the three choices is so little that you can use any of them. Personally, I believe there's no 'sonic' difference between the three unless someone wants to prove me wrong. I've tried all three, and there's NO audible difference. In the end I use banana plugs for the easiness and quickness.

9. Erik M

Erik M Auditioning

I use bare wire but put some solder on the wire ends to stop the wires from braking or fraying. For me it's a good connection, durable, and cheap!

10. Greg_TSL

Greg_TSL Stunt Coordinator

If you decide to go with banana plugs I would recommend the rolled metal variety. They are formed by rolling a small sheet of metal to form the cylinder of the banana plug and offer a large amount of contact area.
    I had my Audioquest cables terminated with them by the shop, but you can purchase them separately.
    http://www.amusicdirect.com/products...sp?sku=AAQ1002
    Theres a link, but you may be able to find better prices around.

11. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

I basicly agree that your choice of bare, bananas, or spades/forks really makes no difference when assembeled correctly, and it's just a personal preferance along with convience.

Some will argue to death the subject but I hear no difference between all the above.

I use AR compression bananas at the receiver, because their a little shorter than most, makes for quick disconnect, and will handel 10g.

At the speaker, PE's Dayton line (large spades part #091-315) currently.
    Will be upgrading to WBT Sandwich Angled 5/16 Spades (at PE's site #093-551). Very very nice angled spades but a little pricey. Especialy their specialized crush tool you need...
    50.40 plus shipping (the tool), but ooooo it's gold plated. Extremly nice stuff (WBT), but their tool is absoulty "nesessary" in order to use their spades properly. But that damn tool is somewhat over priced IMO.

WBT Tool at PE's site~part# 093-580

Regards
    Geoff

12. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Bannanas for me. Easy to make your own. No worries about frayed wires and on the odd occasion where people see them. Rears on stands etc they look cool!

13. Leon Liew

Leon Liew Stunt Coordinator

I have gone bananas.Actually either spades or bananas plug
    is preferred as it will protect the cables from oxidation.

14. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

As mentioned before, bananna plugs offer the most surface area for the contact, at least between the plug and the post. It stands to reason that bare wire can suffer from oxidization effects more readily than a sealed plug. But for me, it's all about convenience.

Martin.

15. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I refer to banana plugs and spades as "speaker jewellery". They really don't have much of a useful purpose, but they look nicer and do indeed make it easier to swap speakers around. It's a nice finishing touch.

16. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I use banana plugs because i like the convienience.. They work perfectly.

17. Victor Chan

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I placed an order for some Heartland Cables w/ banana plugs yesterday under the assumption that, if the terminations are well made and the cable well constructed, why not go for the option that offers the most convenience?

18. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

My thoughts exactly.. good luck with the new cables.

19. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

Sometimes the choice of speaker wire termination is dictated by the other equipment. I have a set of speakers that will ONLY accept banana plugs and an amplifier that will ONLY accept spades or bare wire. Needless to say, my speaker wire is terminated to accommodate those binding posts.

Given a totally free choice, though, I prefer banana plugs just because I like the sound of those words. :>) No, really it is for the convenience when switching things around, and I have not detected an audible difference between the bananas, the spades or bare wire when everything is connected and working properly. (I do not like to use bare wire at the amp end because it is too easy for a stray strand to contact the metal cabinet and cause an internal fuse-blowing short.)

20. Mark LP

Mark LP Agent

I find that banana plugs work better when you have to swap equipment to test etc. If you connect with a spade and pull something out without disconnecting, you have yourself a tug of war. Bananas will pull out without damage to anything.