Banana's or Spades?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don Morrison, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Don Morrison

Don Morrison Agent

I am wondering what is the better connection for the speakers and reciever at the posts, banana plugs or spades? I have the JBL NSP1 (4 N24's and 1 N-Center) and am planning on buying a Denon 3802 in the coming months from our "good friend" Chris (x509) at 6ave.com. I also may upgrade in the near future to some of the JBL Studio series (maybe some ND310's or something).

I do not plan on moving the speakers around much and will not need to unplug them unless there is a phenomenon of some sorts... You thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

2. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Don,

I prefer a hybrid actually with bananas at speaker end and spades on amp.

It really gets into a question of secure contacts and contact area. If the bananas are secure on good terminals, then this is the easiest connection. Some receivers, however, use flimsy connectors which may be loose with bananas. It may also depend on the quality of the banana plug itself. Some people prefer spades on the amp for the contact area is larger, but non-audiophile connectors tend to loosen up over time.

Since you have a Denon and are doing surround sound, I think bananas are probably the easiest from a cable management and flexibility point of view. Typically Denon, while a great product, uses cheaper speaker cable connections on the back which probably favor bananas.

In the long run, my best advice may be that you look for the most secure/tight connection.

3. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

Now why should "banana's" get an apostrophe but not "spades"? Is it because of the vowel? See Bob's Quick Guide to the Apostrophe, You Idiots. [​IMG]
    I'd say spades, so long as you tighten them properly. Bananas rely on the spring clip to maintain the connection, which won't be as airtight and secure as a properly-tightened spade.
    In fact, I believe the terminating connection quality swamps any differences in cable quality. I have no evidence to back this up, it's just a reasoned belief.

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i much prefer spades over bananas.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I like Lee's approach.

6. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Supporting Actor

I use monster quick lock bananas on both ends.

7. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

Is it an aesthetics thing? Just curious, 'cuz what's wrong with a bare-wire connection, which gives as much strength and security as spades I think.

8. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

9. Don Morrison

Don Morrison Agent

Ok. So I am going to go with the spades I think. Since I will never be hot swapping the speakers or anything, I feel that spades will give me a better contact area.

A few questions about what to buy:

Can I just use like regular spades taht I would use on any 'ole electrical wire, or do I need to get something comparable to like Monster QuickLock Spades (these are cool looking, but with the $20 a set price, hard for me to justify at this point).

Does the 'Rat'Shack have what I need? I have a single pair of their gold plated banana plugs, which I like, but are little bulky looking, yet livable for the smaller sized N24's)

Any suggestions are welcome...

10. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

11. Mark Tranchant

Mark Tranchant Stunt Coordinator

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i prefer banana's. there is pretty much no way for them to fall "out" of a connection. i kind of worry that spades will come loose and possibly "slip". but i should say i've never really tried spades so i can't say for sure.

all i know is that i've NEVER had a loose connection from a banana plug.

i'd skip bare wire only because i'm afraid that a loose strand of wire will cause me grief...or that the bare wire will fray.

i just use the rat-shack models - they're relatively inexpensive and work well.