Banana VS Spade

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by mark-h, Jan 23, 2004.

1. mark-h

mark-h Extra

Any information on the connection properties of these two. Does the spade have more physical contact area than the banana? Looks that way to me.

But then again, banana sure look kewl...

Mark

2. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I believe you are correct. I think the spades make more contact, but I doubt if there would be any audible difference. Just my .02 [​IMG]

3. Justin^E

Justin^E Auditioning

Spade has more contact area, but I highly doubt you will hear the difference when compared to the banana. If you are hooking/un-hooking your wires on a frequent basis then banana is the way to go IMO. Otherwise I would go spade as they are much harder to get pulled out by accident.

4. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I use what's the easiest, banana plugs. I've got quite a few of them since building a basement HT room. Everything plugs into five way binding posts on the walls.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    It would seem that you get more surface area with a spade, but in fact, the difference is likely insignificant. I prefer bananas.

6. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i use gold-plated locking banana plugs from ratshack.

ag.

7. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I use spades, but I don't think there is an audible difference. Bananas are easier though.

8. Johnny Ayala

Johnny Ayala Stunt Coordinator

It won't make a difference. All depends on your personal tastes. [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I guess I don't understand why the higher surface area of a spade *wouldn't* matter?

The resistance of a length of wire is definitely related to cross-section area. That's why lower gauge wire is thicker/fatter/wider/however you want to characterize it. So it seems to me that increased contact area gives you lower resistance which, while not *improving* the sound quality, certainly isn't going to hurt it either.

??

Yes, I do have spades, mostly because I think that cheap spades are better than cheap bananas. [​IMG]

10. DavidLW

DavidLW Stunt Coordinator

It may not matter whether you use spades or bananas when everything is new but after a few years, the spades connection will not suffer as much as bananas from oxidation. When I remove my spades from the post after being connected for more than a year, I can still see a bright shiny center on both side of the spade where the post was making contact. However, I have seen bananas come out more or less completely dull from oxidation after the same amount of time.