Banana plugs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scotty_McW, Sep 23, 2002.

1. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Here's an easy question. Banana plugs: Do they do anything other than make it easier to get your speaker wire out of the back of the speaker? I assume so, but...

Thanks.

Scott

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Higher quality banana plugs offer a solid contact and, of course, ease of use. I use them mainly for easily connecting and disconnecting my rear speaker so I don't have wire running across the living room except for movies.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How exactly could it get any easier than banana plugs? Push it in, pull it out. Pretty darn simple if you ask me.

Perhaps you have not given enough information to answer the whole question?

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Bananas...Ease of use and neat to look at. If you will not be doing a lot of connecting/reconnecting then also consider spades as well.

5. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Since I've upgraded twice in the past year I will definately say bananas are worth it.

6. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Thanks for the info guys! I've had speakers that take banana plugs for a while and so does my receiver. I will be upgrading to them, but here's another question. How do they connect to the wire? Do you solder them? Or crimp? Simply slide in? Does it vary from plug type to plug type?

Scott

7. John Garcia

John
    Yes, the method of attachment varies depending on the type of banana you choose, as does the cost.

8. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

For behind my speakers I use the Radio Shack dual-bananas (xxx-308). These bananas have a plunger that un-screws to open a hole on the side. Simply insert 12 ga wire and tighten to create an incredible connection. I was using the Monster "Twist Crimp" bananas, but they would pull loose every few weeks.

The dual bananas also have a solid bar keeping them separated. This is a safety feature because if your bananas get pulled out and touch while the power is on (think of a kid/dog tripping over the wire) you could damage your receiver with the direct short.

Now the dual-bananas stick out almost too far for behind the receiver. Radio Shack has some single bananas (xxx-306) that split into 2 parts. Shove wire into the bottom, fold copper over the top and screw the top part back on to crush the copper - very tight, neat connections with no strands of copper sticking out.

Caution: the spacing for binding posts is NOT standardized. If you want to try the dual-bananas, go buy 1 set and bring them home to make sure they fit your speakers or receiver.

Hope this helps.

9. John Garcia

John

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Banana plugs are for convenience in connecting and disconnecting, only. Don't forget that, with banana plugs, there are usually two joints: from the wires to the plugs, and from the plugs to the sockets, while without banana plugs there is only one joint, from the wires to the terminals.
    Soldering the ends of the speaker wires to the banana plugs is the best and this reduces the number of joints to one, from the plugs to the sockets. Otherwise you have to make sure the connection is tight and stays tight, and "re-torquing" is recommended every few years.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

if you really want to get tweaky consider what one of my friends told me.

he said, that the plugs not only degredated the audio signal but that it actually colored it in some way. in other words, the banana plugs changed the way the music sounded to him. i've also heard this from others.

that being said, i also use the rat-shack stuff and am completely happy. i also had to use the single plugs in the back of my onkyo (which had non-standard spacing).

12. Scotty_McW

Scotty_McW Second Unit

Thanks for all the advice guys! I think I'll give the radio shack plugs a try and see what happens. It'll be a lot better than what I'm doing now.

Scott

13. Will Orth

Will Orth Stunt Coordinator

Well I bought some over priced Bannana Plugs at bestbuy, they were good but over priced, anyways they take on 10 guage wire and have spikes where the wire threads into, so I soldered the ends on all the speaker wires tightended all the terminals then pluggeg them in to the reciever and retorked them as a few did get loose..

Only reason I Used Them Is EASY of reconection, and if I want to remove-or change out components wil be easy!!! as threading the needle for 10 years was getting real frustratiing!...!

Will

14. Leonard B

Leonard B Stunt Coordinator

I have the IXOS 206 banana plugs, which have 2 screws to ensure a tight fit. Two pairs can be had for $14 Cdn at A&B Sound.