Banana Plugs?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SteveSott, Jan 8, 2004.

1. SteveSott

SteveSott Extra

I had someone pick up some banana plugs for me and I ended up with NXG 401's. They have no set screw. I guess I'm supposed to put the wire in from the side and tighten a gold plated plug onto the wire with the little back collar. I haven't tried one yet but it seemes to me that the collar will loosen and could effect the connection.
    Should I take them back and get ones with set screws?
    Thanks in advance
    ST

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I'm not familiar with those specific plugs- but I have seen many which have a threaded collar on the back that you can tighten down on the cable. I have never had these slip or anything, and seem about as effective as a screw.

-Vince

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I don't like the setscrew ones. You have the same potential for the setscrew backing out anyway, unless you use something like Loctite. Stick with the ones you have, since there won't be a significant difference.

4. SteveSott

SteveSott Extra

[​IMG] Thanks, Vince and John.
    I can get started making cables. I just got word that my receiver will be here Tuesday, the speakers will arrive on Monday. Wednesday night at the movies I can hardly wait.
    thank again.
    ST

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Steve,

I purchased several of the NXG banana plugs. After about five months of use, I pulled my receiver out and they were all loose. [​IMG]

I was using 12 gauge wire with mine - which is quite a stiff wire, which may be part of the reason for the twist/screw not staying clamped on the cable. When I saw what had happened, I pulled off the banana plugs and just connnected the wires directly to the binding posts on the back of the receiver.

Banana plugs are essentially only made for convenience. If you plan on connecting/disconnecting your speakers from your receiver quite frequently, then use them. However, if you plan on keeping your installation semi-permanent, then I'd just connect the cables via the binding posts.

Just my .02.

6. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

I have been using the Acoustic Research banana plugs with the set screws for almost 6 months. I have not had any problem with them losing up. I'm running 12 AWG wire.

~C.C.~

7. Tony Loewen

Tony Loewen Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, how goes?

I'm definitely not an expert by any means, but as a power electrician, we use banana jacks for all of our test leads. For impedance's sake, we take out the set screws completely and solder the wire in. Any reason this wouldn't work for speaker wire? This is my plan when I begin construction of my theatre, hopefully about 3 weeks away (job transfer, moving).

Tony

8. Chris Cash

Chris Cash Stunt Coordinator

They make banana plug that solder to the wire. I saw them at Radio Shack. If they sell then others should too.

~C.C.~