banana plugs

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by scott_seth, Dec 22, 2003.

1. scott_seth

scott_seth Auditioning

I just finished hooking up my HT components. I heard that banana plugs make great connectors so I bought a whole bunch of them, connected them to the necessary speaker wires and plugged in.

Is it just me or do they not seem to "lock" in place into the binding posts. They seem to slide in as far as they can go but also seem too easy to pull out. For example if I move my AV receiver out to get behind it I will almost certainly have one of the plugs fall out. Does it make a difference if you unscrew the cap a bit or leave it tightened ?.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks...

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Do they look like THIS?

They have a raised flange type of plug that's spozed to seat intside the binding post.

What does not work here are PINS which are designed to fit into spring clips found on cost-cutting receivers/spkrs.

bill

3. scott_seth

scott_seth Auditioning

yes that's what they look like.

I've used banana plugs before, I just keep expecting them to "snap" in or something but they always seem a bit loose.

4. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

Thats just the way they are. They will not "snap" into place or anything, but qualities vary significantly. It just relies on the spring pressure of the plug to hold it in place. However, they do make a locking type banana plug that actually can be tightened up once they are installed, but they are a bit more expensive than the standard.

Bill

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

There is also a "Locking" banana with a pin that snaps into the internal hole so you have to twist it to remove it.

Big Hint: put your receiver on the BOTTOM shelf of your rack. This minimizes the drop and weight.