What's new

banana plugs (1 Viewer)

scott_seth

Auditioning
I just finished hooking up my HT components. I heard that banana plugs make great connectors so I bought a whole bunch of them, connected them to the necessary speaker wires and plugged in.

Is it just me or do they not seem to "lock" in place into the binding posts. They seem to slide in as far as they can go but also seem too easy to pull out. For example if I move my AV receiver out to get behind it I will almost certainly have one of the plugs fall out. Does it make a difference if you unscrew the cap a bit or leave it tightened ?.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Do they look like THIS?

They have a raised flange type of plug that's spozed to seat intside the binding post.

What does not work here are PINS which are designed to fit into spring clips found on cost-cutting receivers/spkrs.

bill

scott_seth

Auditioning
yes that's what they look like.

I've used banana plugs before, I just keep expecting them to "snap" in or something but they always seem a bit loose.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Thats just the way they are. They will not "snap" into place or anything, but qualities vary significantly. It just relies on the spring pressure of the plug to hold it in place. However, they do make a locking type banana plug that actually can be tightened up once they are installed, but they are a bit more expensive than the standard.

Bill

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
There is also a "Locking" banana with a pin that snaps into the internal hole so you have to twist it to remove it.

Big Hint: put your receiver on the BOTTOM shelf of your rack. This minimizes the drop and weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks