Banana plugs??? Video switching???????

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

Looking for a new A/V Receiver, looking in to the Denon 1802/2802 and Onkyo 595/696 and Yamaha 620/800. I wanted to know what banana plug inputs are, I see peopel mentioning it everywhere, I have to know what it is!!!! Also I don't quite understand what video switching is, and if it somethign that I will use. If someone will please explain this to me, I would be very appreciative, thank you.

2. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Video switching means the video signals run through the receiver and then to the display. There are a few different options on this, component, s-video, composite. Then there are systems that will up convert lower grade signals to higher grade signals. Although you can convert s-video to component on some receivers there is no way to improve a source of lower quality.
    Either you want video switching or you don't. It all depends on how you want your system to work. And it's handy if your display only have a few inputs!
    banana plugs are a way for connecting speakers. They are IMHO the easiest way to make the connections. I've just switched over in the last few weeks.
    This page shows several different styles... http://www.johnsoncomponents.com/bplug.htm

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Kyle, here's some pictures that might help you out.
    First, Banana Plug connections on a Yamaha receiver: http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/pane...V1/brxv1_7.htm
    The plugs linked to by Jeff plug into these speaker jacks. The plugs are a little less than an inch long, and are wider in the middle than the ends. The middle is kind of springy, so when you plug it into the jack it holds real well. Bananas are great because they don't come loose accidentally, and its easy to make sure they're in and making a good connection. And when you want, you can unplug them with just a little effort, and quickly plug them in again.
    Second, the video inputs on the same receiver: http://www.yamaha.com/menuitems/pane...V1/brxv1_3.htm
    As you can see with the inputs, you connect the audio and video connections from your VCRs, DVD players, etc. to the receiver, and then run video from the receiver to the TV. Then when you switch inputs on the receiver, it routes the video signal from the device to your TV. Most A/V receivers have video switching these days. Regardless of how many S-Video devices you currently have, I'd highly recommend that you make sure any receiver you are shopping for handles 4 or more S-Video inputs. That way you can use DVD, Satelite, and a game system or two, and who knows what else you might get down the line.

4. ColinW

ColinW Agent

I have an additional question regarding video switching.
    Currently I have the DVD hooked directly to the TV with component cable, and the audio from the DVD going through the amp using optical cable.
    I also have the satellite dish hooked directly to the TV.
    What is the advantage to using the video inputs on the amp? Will it improve performance? I was thinking it would make things worse with more connections and so on? Should I be routing these through the amp and then to the TV?
    Is the benefit of video switching just having the audio and video switch at the same time when you select the input?
    Colin

5. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

6. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Putting more connections between the device and the TV will definitely have an impact, but how much is the question. A good receiver will have very little affect on the signal, hopefully it will be small enough not to be noticeable.
    I'd recommend that if you don't need the switching, then don't use it. However when buying a reciever I think its best to look to the future and try and buy one that will satisfy your needs for some time to come. Last year I had one DVD player, a VCR, LD player, cable box, and playstation hooked up to my receiver. Now I got a Tivo, Dish, and two more DVD players hooked up, and I've dropped the cable box and VCR. So I've got six devices using S-Video rather than the two I had for quite some time. You never know where this hobby (read sickness) will take you.

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    If you do not have enough inputs on your TV, video switching is a must. For me and my TV, I only have 1 input on it, Svideo, composite, L&R audio. It would be impossible to use the Tv's 1 input to run a DVD, LD, VCR, Sat, all to this one input therefor I need a video switcher. The only bad thing is you have to have the receiver on in order to view anything on the TV.
    Banana plugs are the easiest way to connect speakers. They are not inputs, they are outputs from your amp/receiver to speakers. All high quality speakers/receivers use binding posts to connect bananas.

8. ColinW

ColinW Agent

Thanks for all of the info everyone. The TV I am using (RCA MM36100) has more than enough inputs. I don't even need the amount it has right now! I wil take the recommendation NOT to use video switching because I don't need to right now. Unless I find a pile of extra stuff to hook up I won't need it in the near future with this TV.
    Thanks again for clearing this up.
    Colin

9. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

10. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

the receiver models he listed does (at least i know the onkyo and yamaha does).
    but i get what you're saying jeff - thanks for the clarification. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)