banana plugs for in-wall connections?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ThomasL, Jan 7, 2004.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Hello all,

I wired my 1st floor for sound a few years ago using in-wall AR 14 gauge 4 conductor speaker cable, "old work" electrical boxes and 5 way binding post face plates. I have 4 rooms with one of those rooms being the main switch point using a Niles speaker switch selector. When I terminated the in-wall connections to the face plates, I just used bare wire and I am wondering whether folks think I should have used banana plugs or something else. I see from the forum that many like banana plugs for convenience at the speaker and the amp/receiver but does anyone have any thoughts for the in-wall connections? Will they help keep the connection from oxidizing or just make sure the stray wire doesn't come loose causing a short?

thanks for your help,

--tom

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Anyone have any opinions? [​IMG]

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Banana plugs are for convenience, plain and simple – i.e., where you plug in and unplug the speakers a lot.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Wayne. I ordered a few pair that I will use on the back of my receiver to make life a bit easier I think but I'll definitely leave the in-wall faceplate connections as they are.

--tom