What's new

Banana Plugs don't fit.........now what? (1 Viewer)

DerekM

Agent
I just purchased a spool of 12guage speaker wire, and brought it home to find out that it's too big to fit in my speaker terminals, and the receiver's terminals also. I went to Radio Shack, and picked up some crimping banana plugs, but those are too big as well. I really hope that someone can tell me what to do, because as of now, I'm sitting with a spool of wire that I can't use. :angry: Any input is appreciated. Thanks, Derek.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
What kind of connections do you have on your receiver for speaker wires? Do you have the spring-clip style?

If so, go back to Radio Shack and buy the 2-piece MegaCable Pin connectors. These will take 12 ga and give you a pin for the spring clips.

DerekM

Agent
I guess it is called spring clip.......It's just a basic terminal where you depress the lever to open, slip the wire in, and lock it back. So I need a pin connector? Is the Radio Shack version just as good as the Monster Cable? Are these pins small enough to fit? I think that the most the terminal can take is the equivalent of 14-16 gauge wire. Thanks for the help!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the pin connectors are about the only way to get 12 ga wire to fit in the little clips.

Get the good Radio Shack pins - the ones that un-screw into 2 parts. Shove wire up the back end, fold copper over and screw down the banana part to crush the copper. Make sure NO copper strands stick out to cause a short.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
IMHO, I think you are better off removing some of the outer strands from the wire until it fits into the spring clip. This will certainly make a better connection. The contact area of those pin connectors is very, very small.

-Dave

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
if it's a snug fit with the pin, you'll find the contact area is greater using the pin...not that it's a big thing in either case.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has the Rad-Shack pin connectors for his amp and they seem to work just fine.

Never try to shove a big wire into these "locking" terminals as this same friend of mine did just that and almost ruined the clips (they wouldn't lock but I fixed the problem).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks