What's new

Banana plugs and biwiring (1 Viewer)

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
Sorry if the following question is obvious, but I don't have much knowledge of banana plugs, etc.
If one is biwiring speakers (for simplicity, let's say the center speaker), I understand that two separate speaker wires are connected to the center speaker binding post on the receiver/amplifier. If one is using banana plugs as terminators, how do 2 bananas fit into one binding post?
Thanks!
Joe
------------------
Movie reviews and discussion...Link Removed

Chip E

Screenwriter
You obviously "can't" put two banana's in one post. Unless you use bi-wires, you have to run two seperate wires. Use banana's for one set and spades or bare wire for the other set. (i'd use the spades)
- Chip

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You obviously "can't" put two banana's in one post.
I don’t know about expensive banana plugs but you can do this if you use the cheaper plugs (typically they come in red or black). They have holes in the ends that allow another banana plug to be plugged in to them.
Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LarrySkelly

Stunt Coordinator
Or do what I did with my CAT-5 biwire cables - at the receiver end terminate the pair of two-wire cables in one pair of banana plugs. Terminate the other end (four wires) in two pairs as per usual.
------------------
Upgrading: 'What if this is as good as it gets?'

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the replies, guys.
It looks like I'm going with Larry's suggestion. My speaker wire has 4 conductors, so on the amp end these will all be terminated into two connectors (+ and -), and the other end will have 4.
Regards,
Joe
------------------
Movie reviews and discussion...Link Removed

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I used the Radio Shack Banana Plugs pictured below. I was
able to fit 2 12awg runs of SoundKing wire into each Plug
when the wires were braided together. Then I silver soldered
them into the plugs. I tried crimping these terminals and
even though RS says they are Crimp Type they do not crimp.
You are better off soldering anyway.
910-4792.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F009%5F005&product%5Fid=910%2D4792
910-4793.jpg

http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F009%5F005&product%5Fid=910%2D4793
And the finished product..
cable3.jpg

cable4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread