Banana plugs and amp don't mix

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Pamela, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Bought a Parasound Halo A 23 today. After connecting it, the amp was constantly shutting of and coming back while playing CDs. And I do mean constantly. I was also getting popping in the speakers. After searching the forum, I decided it must be a short. Checked all connections and everything looked fine, but still shutting off. This went on over an hour. [​IMG]

Finally, in shear exasperation, I removed the banana plugs from the back of the amp and connected the speaker wires directly. Guess what...no more shutting off. It works fine. I'm curious if anyone knows why the banana plugs were causing it to shut off. Would banana plugs cause a short? Or is this some unexplained mystery of the universe?

Now, I just have to get rid of the nasty hum...

2. RayJK

RayJK Stunt Coordinator

You might have had just one strand contacting the other terminal or the chassis. It doesn't take much to cause problems. Try the bananas again and be sure the wire doesn't extend out of the clamping area too far (1/8"). Let us know if this works.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Pamela, I have never had such problems with banana plugs, but I think Ray is on the right track. Just be sure you don't have extraneous bare wire extending out from the banana plug that could come in contact with something (the other terminal, etc.). Also, are you sure that your banana plugs are making good contact with the binding posts? See if they "rattle" around when inserted. The main problem some folks have with banana plugs is that they don't always fit snuggly into binding posts. Sometimes, they even deform such that a once well-fitting banana plug suddenly fails to make proper contact. I have never experienced this, but others have. I once had a banana plug that would not fit in a binding post to save my life, but when I changed cables, I had no problem.

If you decide to try the banana plugs again, definitely make sure that you don't have stray bare wires, as Ray and I said. If you are sure you have no stray bare wires and still experience audio dropouts, play music with one banana plug inserted at a time to see if you can isolate the problem. Furthermore, try a given banana plug in each binding post. In this way, you may be able to determine whether you have a loose connection.

Ironically, I have experienced shorting with bare wire, not with banana plugs. The great thing about banana plugs or spades is that they usually reduce your chances having a short, plus they protect the wire from oxidation.

4. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies! I finally gave up. My frustration is majorly high at the moment. They're bare for now, and I will get some new banana plugs this week.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

FYI, when setting up some equipment just a few months ago, I too was constantly dealing with shutoff issues. I took the banana plugs off and connected the speaker wires directly to the binding posts at both ends (receiver and speakers). No problems since.

But what to do with all these banana plugs?

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Ebay!

7. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Pam- My guess is a poorly connected banana. The plug its self has become seperated from the wire. I also think that bananas are the safest way to connect an amp. I'm currently using spades and can tell you that these are somewhat dangerous. I've gone through a little trouble already but luckly survived with no damage. Since then I've done a little protective isolation using electrical tape on the spade lugs themselves and now feel a little more comfortable. My next wires will diffinently have bananas.

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

9. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if the banana's aren't defective and there are no shorts in the wiring, i'd consider returning the amp as a problem in something this simple doesn't inspire tons of confidence.

10. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

Pamela:

If nobody else has asked, and as long as you're giving them away, mind sending them this way? [​IMG]

Seriously...

11. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

12. Yousaf

Yousaf Second Unit

LOL that's ok. Thanks anyway!