Banana Plug Bafflement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Duane H, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Duane H

Duane H Agent

I am planning to put together some speaker wire and want to use banana plugs. However, after searching some previous threads, I'm still confused enough about the options -- dual vs. single, crimp-on vs. solder vs. set screw, side vs. end holes, etc. -- to make a decision.
    I know it's not rocket science, but all I want is a good, reliable, easy-to-assemble plug that easily accommodates 12g speaker wire. Also, no soldering for me. Radio Shack and Dayton connectors seem to be the most popular, but specific model recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

I like the set screw type. The crimp ones never seem to grip tightly enough for me, and the wire eventually just falls out.

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I use Radio Shack Gold Plated banana plugs (cat # 278-306). These are single plugs that accept 12 gauge cable and do not require soldering. They also sell a dual-banana plug version, but my Sony 50ES receiver's binding posts are not properly spaced for duals.
    Radio Shack's website has info on all their banana plug and binding post products. Check www.radioshack.com .
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

4. Adrian Hansen

Adrian Hansen Auditioning

monster cable makes an excellent spread of cable terminations for those who dont want to be caught dead in a radio shack, and like things like lifetime warrantees on their products. monster makes them in both one time crimp, and my favorite, reusable twist-crimp. 12bucks for one time crimp, 16 for four twist-crimps, but they last forever.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    I just received the Dayton (Parts Express house brand) bananas and they look just like the Phoenix Gold brand at half the price.
    Dayton bananas
    [Edited last by Robert_J on November 14, 2001 at 10:47 AM]

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Robert: those Dayton bananas probably ARE unbadged Phoenix bananas. I use Dayton RCA to 1/4" converters for my subwoofer lines and they are quality connectors.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

8. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

I agree. The Dayton plugs are nice and inexpensive from parts express ($6.95 for two pair). I bought a bunch of them a few weeks ago when they were on sale for $4.95 for two pair. I also have RCA's from Home Depot (set screw type) that seem to be of nice quality also and are reasonable priced at $5 for one pair.

9. Jo_M

Jo_M Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at the ones at Partsexpress also. They seemed cheap enough until I got to the shipping. My order was $7.00 (3.50x2) and the shipping was $7.87! I can go to best buy and pay 8.99 for 4 gold AR banana plugs.

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I use RS gold set-screw two peice type and am vert happy with them. They are much better than the monster cable ones.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also use the rat-shack ones and am completely happy with them. they seem to be well made and fit snugly in the jack. i had to use the "attached" pair for my speaker terminals, but the "stand-alone" single ones for the back of my onkyo.
    in any case, they're so easy to put together and are inexpensive.
    my informal tests did not yield a noticeable incrase in performance for the higher price brands.
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

12. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Adrian,
    How are those Monster Cable Trainng Sessions going? [​IMG]
    I use Radio Shack Nikel Silver Crimp On's that are only
    available on the web, but instead I silver solder them on
    for the best possible termination.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

13. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    well i'm looking to buy some real banana plugs for my two 5.1 systems. being able to buy them at Radio Shack is a must, and i dont want to solder (my other ones from RS needed soldering and STILL didnt work [​IMG]). cheap is good...no more than $4/pr (each speaker) please. also, if they have them angled 90 degrees that'd be great. if someone could please gimme a link to RS's website, it would be much appreciated! last time i figured anything would work so i wasted $20 on stuff that doesnt work.
    thanks in advance!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT

14. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Tom,
    http://www.radioshack.com
    $2.49 Reg. Price Brand: Chin
    Cat.#: 910-5545 Model: TL-005
    (Pricing and Availability may vary outside the contiguous 48 United States.)
    Where to Buy
    On-line Yes
    In Stores No
    1-800-THE-SHACK Yes
    Red/Black Right-Angle Banana Plug Pair. Corrosion-resistant gold-plated connectors and adapters offer superior signal transfer, high dependability and better quality sound. Choose solder-type connections for optimum signal transfer or solderless-type for ease of attachment.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=278%2D306
    Gold-Plated Banana Plug
    $5.99 Reg. Price Brand:
    Cat.#: 278-306 Model: No model information available
    Where to Buy
    On-line Yes
    In Stores Yes
    1-800-THE-SHACK Yes
    Accepts heavy-duty 12 gauge speaker cable. Screw-type, two-piece construction. Easy-grip sleeves. Pack of 2.
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=278%2D321
    Crimp-On Gold-Plated Banana Plugs
    $3.99 Reg. Price Brand:
    Cat.#: 278-321 Model: No model information available
    Where to Buy
    On-line Yes
    In Stores Yes
    1-800-THE-SHACK Yes
    Accept 16 to 12-gauge speaker wire. One red, one black.
    Hope that helps [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Brett DiMichele
    My Home Theater Site!
    [email protected]

15. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I'm a Phoenix Gold dual-plug user. After I bought mine, I figured out my speakers and monitor did not have the same spacing as the plugs, but a quick trip to my tool shed and Mr. Hacksaw had them properly spaced in no time. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

16. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Deltron Gold Bananas are what we use in our store. Inexpensive, with set-screw and crimp abilities (we also solder the connection).
    Also offer a very secure connection to the binding post. some bananas are too loose.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Clinton: I do that all the time, except I use the quick metal shears method for cutting the dual bananas. [​IMG] Cutting dual bananas is usually cheaper than buying a bunch of seperate bananas.
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!

18. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

I’d also recommend the Dayton plugs from Part Express, I like Dayton’s design better than Monster’s expensive twist on model, I picked up a few sets for $4.95 to try them out and now wish I ordered a few more for that price.

19. Kevin_W

Kevin_W Second Unit

Can anyone tell me if Denon (avr3300) uses proper spacing with their binding posts so there wouldn't be a need to cut the duals?
    thanks!
    Kevin

20. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    same with the Onkyo 595 please!
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT