What's new

Banana Plug Bafflement (1 Viewer)

Duane H

Agent
I am planning to put together some speaker wire and want to use banana plugs. However, after searching some previous threads, I'm still confused enough about the options -- dual vs. single, crimp-on vs. solder vs. set screw, side vs. end holes, etc. -- to make a decision.
I know it's not rocket science, but all I want is a good, reliable, easy-to-assemble plug that easily accommodates 12g speaker wire. Also, no soldering for me. Radio Shack and Dayton connectors seem to be the most popular, but specific model recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
I like the set screw type. The crimp ones never seem to grip tightly enough for me, and the wire eventually just falls out.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I use Radio Shack Gold Plated banana plugs (cat # 278-306). These are single plugs that accept 12 gauge cable and do not require soldering. They also sell a dual-banana plug version, but my Sony 50ES receiver's binding posts are not properly spaced for duals.
Radio Shack's website has info on all their banana plug and binding post products. Check www.radioshack.com .
------------------
My DVD Collection
AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1

Adrian Hansen

Auditioning
monster cable makes an excellent spread of cable terminations for those who dont want to be caught dead in a radio shack, and like things like lifetime warrantees on their products. monster makes them in both one time crimp, and my favorite, reusable twist-crimp. 12bucks for one time crimp, 16 for four twist-crimps, but they last forever.

J

John Morris

I use Phoenix Gold Dual Bananas like these:
263-583m.jpg

Here is a link if you want to order some:
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=6277&CATID=39
God Bless America!!!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just received the Dayton (Parts Express house brand) bananas and they look just like the Phoenix Gold brand at half the price.
Dayton bananas
[Edited last by Robert_J on November 14, 2001 at 10:47 AM]

J

John Morris

Robert: those Dayton bananas probably ARE unbadged Phoenix bananas. I use Dayton RCA to 1/4" converters for my subwoofer lines and they are quality connectors.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I agree. The Dayton plugs are nice and inexpensive from parts express ($6.95 for two pair). I bought a bunch of them a few weeks ago when they were on sale for $4.95 for two pair. I also have RCA's from Home Depot (set screw type) that seem to be of nice quality also and are reasonable priced at $5 for one pair.

Jo_M

Stunt Coordinator
I was looking at the ones at Partsexpress also. They seemed cheap enough until I got to the shipping. My order was $7.00 (3.50x2) and the shipping was $7.87! I can go to best buy and pay 8.99 for 4 gold AR banana plugs.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
I use RS gold set-screw two peice type and am vert happy with them. They are much better than the monster cable ones.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also use the rat-shack ones and am completely happy with them. they seem to be well made and fit snugly in the jack. i had to use the "attached" pair for my speaker terminals, but the "stand-alone" single ones for the back of my onkyo.
in any case, they're so easy to put together and are inexpensive.
my informal tests did not yield a noticeable incrase in performance for the higher price brands.
------------------
"The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i'm looking to buy some real banana plugs for my two 5.1 systems. being able to buy them at Radio Shack is a must, and i dont want to solder (my other ones from RS needed soldering and STILL didnt work
frown.gif
). cheap is good...no more than $4/pr (each speaker) please. also, if they have them angled 90 degrees that'd be great. if someone could please gimme a link to RS's website, it would be much appreciated! last time i figured anything would work so i wasted $20 on stuff that doesnt work.
thanks in advance!
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Tom,
http://www.radioshack.com
$2.49 Reg. Price Brand: Chin
Cat.#: 910-5545 Model: TL-005
(Pricing and Availability may vary outside the contiguous 48 United States.)
Where to Buy
On-line Yes
In Stores No
1-800-THE-SHACK Yes
Red/Black Right-Angle Banana Plug Pair. Corrosion-resistant gold-plated connectors and adapters offer superior signal transfer, high dependability and better quality sound. Choose solder-type connections for optimum signal transfer or solderless-type for ease of attachment.
------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=278%2D306
Gold-Plated Banana Plug
$5.99 Reg. Price Brand:
Cat.#: 278-306 Model: No model information available
Where to Buy
On-line Yes
In Stores Yes
1-800-THE-SHACK Yes
Accepts heavy-duty 12 gauge speaker cable. Screw-type, two-piece construction. Easy-grip sleeves. Pack of 2.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F005%5F003%5F003%5F000&product%5Fid=278%2D321
Crimp-On Gold-Plated Banana Plugs
$3.99 Reg. Price Brand:
Cat.#: 278-321 Model: No model information available
Where to Buy
On-line Yes
In Stores Yes
1-800-THE-SHACK Yes
Accept 16 to 12-gauge speaker wire. One red, one black.
Hope that helps :)
------------------
htflogo.gif

Brett DiMichele
My Home Theater Site!
[email protected]

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'm a Phoenix Gold dual-plug user. After I bought mine, I figured out my speakers and monitor did not have the same spacing as the plugs, but a quick trip to my tool shed and Mr. Hacksaw had them properly spaced in no time.
wink.gif

------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
Deltron Gold Bananas are what we use in our store. Inexpensive, with set-screw and crimp abilities (we also solder the connection).
Also offer a very secure connection to the binding post. some bananas are too loose.
----
Jeff
------------------
"They're coming to get you Barbara..."

J

John Morris

Clinton: I do that all the time, except I use the quick metal shears method for cutting the dual bananas.
biggrin.gif
Cutting dual bananas is usually cheaper than buying a bunch of seperate bananas.
------------------
Take Care,
merc
----------------
Link Removed
God Bless America!!!

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I’d also recommend the Dayton plugs from Part Express, I like Dayton’s design better than Monster’s expensive twist on model, I picked up a few sets for $4.95 to try them out and now wish I ordered a few more for that price.

Kevin_W

Second Unit
Can anyone tell me if Denon (avr3300) uses proper spacing with their binding posts so there wouldn't be a need to cut the duals?
thanks!
Kevin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks