1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Banana Connectors

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Daman, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hi Guys,
    Purchased Banana connectors for my speakers yesterday from Radioshack, and though this may sound stupid i wanted to ask whats the best way to connect these to the normal monster speaker wire.. the pin is simple type gold plated one which is cut in half at the end.. probably to crimp it on the wire.. do i need to solder it or just fitting the wire tightly will do,how much speaker wire needs to be exposed to the pin.. at present theres a small bit just at the end of it.. thanks for your replies in advance [​IMG]
    Daman

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

You should go back and buy parts 278-306 (single) or 278-308 (dual). No soldering needed. Just strip a bit of insulation and attach. (Ask the clerk how the single bananas work. The dual-bananas have a plunger that un-screws to expose a side hole.)

3. Daman

Daman Second Unit

hey thanks a lot bob, ill do the same today itself [​IMG] appreciate your response!

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I like the dual bananas for the speakers, but they stick out a bit far for behind the reciever so the single-bananas work well here.

Note on the dual-bananas: the spacing of binding posts is NOT standardized so buy 1 set and try them out first.

If you do decide to buy 5-10 of the Dual Bananas, PartsExpress has some of similar quality for about half the price.

Note: It's very important to do a neat wire job with speaker wires. No strands of copper should poke out to cause a short later. Cut a foot of speaker wire off and practice stripping and attaching. It takes less exposed wire than you might think. After a try or two you will be able to do a neat job and have a tidy system.

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

thanks Bob, i redid all the wires to the connectors yesterday.. its pretty well fit in now [​IMG] and watched Ronin to appreciate my good work [​IMG] amazing movie and yes the system does sound better now than it was earlier when i was using Binding posts.
    Cheers!
    Daman

PS: And yes im using single banana connectors

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Keep in mind that the audiophile-view is that bare-wires to the binding posts is the superior connection method. This comes from the theory: "fewer breaks in the signal path -the better".

I agree with this - to a point.

Nobody I know can claim to tell the difference between one speaker connected with bare-wires, and the other with bananas.

So bananas should not make an audible difference in your system.

If you REALLY do hear a difference, my guess is your previous wire-job had some loose connections, or the connections were made 2 or more years ago and the exposed copper had buit up an oxidization layer. Cutting and stripping fresh wire is something you might want to do on an annual basis.

(Actually, a complete disconnect, clean/dust, reconnect all cables is not a bad idea for a 'spring cleaning' of your electronics.)

Glad the bananas worked for you.

7. Daman

Daman Second Unit

hmmm.. probably loose connections might have been the case, the wiring sure is new.. just 3-4 months. And i did think there was a difference, even though it was very slight, i saw the same LOTR scene just before changing to bananas and then after it.. the wife also agrees to it..so probably loose connections was the problem. in the end i guess its what makes my ears happy [​IMG]