1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Banana connector question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by James Sutula, Jul 30, 2003.

1. James Sutula

James Sutula Auditioning

I just recently bought some Monster Cable "Monster Tip" banana connectors for my speakers. The instructions say to expose 5/8" of copper wiring prior to putting the base of the connector on. It seems to me that after snugly pushing the base down onto the speaker wire covering, there is quite a bit of copper wiring sticking out of the top of the base piece. Screwing the top of the connector on to the base results in lots of mashing of the copper wire. Exactly how much copper wiring should be exposed above the base of the connector to then be smashed down by the top piece?

Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way? Somehow it does not make sense that Monster Cable recommends in the directions to twist the wiring to a point when it just gets mashed down and potentially spread apart in the end anyway?

Thanks.

2. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I used to have some of those. You "fan out" all of that wire around the center. Then screw the top back on and your done.