What's new

Banana Clips (1 Viewer)

pglore

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
Hey everyone...I've been poking around this forum for a couple weeks but pretty new to it. I have a quick question about banana clips for my speakers. I have a B&W setup (2 685s, 2 686s and an HTM61). What size banana clips should I use for the back of these speakers? Whats the different between pin screw, open screw and closed screw?

Thanks, everyone.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I think you mean banana plugs. Banana clips are for women's hair. Anyway, unless your speaker wires are pin terminated, you would want to buy either open or closed screw. Open screw have an exposed connection, but are easier to assemble and rarely ever come loose. Closed screw enclose the connection in a shroud with no loose ends, but are harder to assemble and tend to come loose.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have a 40 round, curved magazine for my SKS rifle and I've heard people mistakenly call it a 'banana clip'.

jkellam

Auditioning
Real Name
John Kellam
Check your AVR before buying DUAL banana plugs. Many manufacturers (about half) use NONSTANDARD spacing on their binding posts. Standard spacing for dual banana plugs has been 3/4 inch for more than 50 years. Why anyone would want to use one-inch spacing in a cramped area like an AVR back panel is beyond me, but if you get dual banana plugs, they won't fit, and you'll have to cut 'em in half like I did with my Elite. GRRR !!!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by jkellam

Check your AVR before buying DUAL banana plugs. Many manufacturers (about half) use NONSTANDARD spacing on their binding posts. Standard spacing for dual banana plugs has been 3/4 inch for more than 50 years. Why anyone would want to use one-inch spacing in a cramped area like an AVR back panel is beyond me, but if you get dual banana plugs, they won't fit, and you'll have to cut 'em in half like I did with my Elite. GRRR !!!

Thanks for the insight, but there was no need to post the same message in multiple threads around the forum.

jkellam

Auditioning
Real Name
John Kellam
My apologies for the overkill, but it was extremely frustrating to unpack a brand-new AVR, try to connect my speakers with prewired dual banana plugs, and find that Pioneer violated a decades-established standard. Just wanted to save other readers the same frustration, but I'll limit future postings to my quest for dual banana plugs at one-inch spacing. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks