Banana Clips

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Arvin, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Arvin

Arvin Auditioning

is it beneficial to use banana clips? i thought that more connections meant more loss of signal?

SO, what are the pros and cons of banana clips?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Not exactly.

Banana Plugs are for convience.

PRO:

Most AV receivers have their binding posts in a tight field that makes it a real chore to wire 12 ga into the sides.

Banana plugs let you do a neat wireing job. (Neatness is very important here - any stray strands of copper can cause a short.)

Nobody I have heard of can hear the difference between 2 speakers where one is wired with bananas and the other with bare wire. So there is no audible difference.

The Dual banana plugs from Radio Shack (xxx-308) are great for behind your speakers. The solid spacer bar prevents shorts should a kid/dog yank the speaker wires while the power is on. (Note: The spacing of binding posts are not standard so buy 1 set and bring them home to see if they fit your speakers/receiver). For behind the receiver, the Radio Shack single bananas (xxx-306) dont stick out as far.

CON:

The banana plugs ARE friction fit so they could tug out. But they do make "Locking Banana Plugs" that need a twist before they get released.

On the other hand, a quick-disconnect could keep your receiver from being pulled out of your rack should something strong snag a speaker wire and pull.

I highly recommend the banana plugs.

3. Troy_j

Troy_j Agent

Let's me put it this way:

Unless test eqpt has BNC connections for it's leads, it propably has bannana plugs.

If it's what I use to verify a good v. bad signal, I bet it's fine for speaker wire connection. Also I feel that the tight fit of a bannana combined with formentioned convience show a clear path to persure.

my .02

4. Arvin

Arvin Auditioning

thanks guys, i appreciate it