Banana Clip Question...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sheldon, Nov 21, 2001.

1. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

I like the look of the banana clips however I am not quite sure of which ones to use for my H/K.The gauge wire I use is 12 gauge.I know that Radio Shack have several and I bought a few diff types but haven't been happy with the connection.Any Suggestions on Radio Shack model cat #'s that I can try??

2. JohnMW

JohnMW Second Unit

3. Gerard Vogel

Gerard Vogel Auditioning

I recently purchased the "another one" variety and am very happy with them. Upon inspection, I knew that crimping it wasn't going to go over very well so I soldered the wire on instead. IMO, soldering is the best method, better than Monster cables "twist-crimp", which I also have used and will eventualy replace with the RS plugs.

4. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

I just got a few sets of these from Parts Express. They don't require crimping or soldering and have dual screw-clamps that hold the wire in place. A very easy to use solution that seems to generate a very good connection.

5. Sheldon

Sheldon Stunt Coordinator

Thank You very much guys...Problem solved.

6. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Just a follow up- I used the bought the daytons from parts express- making sure I installed them correctly- basically I trimmed about 3/4 inch of shield off- unscrewed the connnector & ran the wire through- then basically just screwed the connector back- clamping(smashing) the wire to hold the connection- i gave a few good pulls & they seem secure- is this right?

7. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

are they like "monster locks"?

8. MarkPayton

MarkPayton Stunt Coordinator

Johnson, that seems correct. The Dayton Audio plugs I bought have two screws. If yours do too, I suggest you make sure the wire is all the way into the plug and tighten the top screw first and tug to ensure connection, then tighten the second and you should be good to go.

I have found the Dayton plugs be the easiest to use, since the screw-clamp allows you to re-use the plug if for example you decide to upgrade your cable, go to a different length for new speaker placement, or decide to bi-wire. Less time-consuming than soldering, and (in my experience) a better connection than crimping.

9. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

Just another follow up- All I did was unscrew the bottom, ran the wire through & smashed it into the top connector? It seems to work alright. all my speakers s0und fine