Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

Bambi: Signature Collection Blu-ray Review
bambibd2top-1024x761.jpg

Of the Disney Big Five (the first five animated features Disney produced beginning with Snow White), Bambi is its supreme masterpiece.

[review]

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Matt!

While I am happy the people who missed out on the prior release are getting another shot at Bambi, I'm going to stick with my existing disc. I don't watch it nearly enough to justify a double dip (triple, really, with the 2-Disc DVD added).

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Different forum reports the RKO logo has been added back to the opening -- can you confirm? I;m not sure why people get upset about this, but apparently it seems to be a big deal to some.

Original Audio is still not lossless. I'm not entirely sure it would make a pennies difference if it was, but some folks were still up in arms
over the slight.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Original Audio is still not lossless. I'm not entirely sure it would make a pennies difference if it was, but some folks were still up in arms
over the slight.

I don't think Disney has ever released an original mono track which was not considered the disc's primary audio track as lossless audio. Whether or not I agree with that decision, I wouldn't expect it to change from release to release. Even on their Disney Movie Club exclusives where the only audio track is mono, it's presented in a lossy format.

One thing I have noticed on these recent Disney re-releases -- if you had a digital copy of the previous version on iTunes, the new edition's bonus features get added to your collection at no extra charge to you. The downside is that it appears to swap your original redemption with the new version entirely, so if the older version had different content, you probably don't have that anymore. But the upside is that you can watch the new bonus features from this release without having to re-buy it.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Just for the record, the only "Bambi" Blu-rays available from Amazon right now are third party remnants of the 2011 release.

So the "Amazon/Disney" feud remains in force to the detriment of all.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Does it really matter if the mono isn't lossless? Its an old optical track, the fidelity was never there to begin with.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Different forum reports the RKO logo has been added back to the opening -- can you confirm? I;m not sure why people get upset about this, but apparently it seems to be a big deal to some.

over the slight.
The RKO logo is there in this release.

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Who signed this if it's a signature edition? I don't think there's anyone left alive who worked on this movie.

By the way, the image at the top of this thread is a 1950s publicity image. It isn't from the film.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

over the slight.

Isn't DTS-HD HR lossy as well?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Isn't DTS-HD HR lossy as well?

Yes, but the main complaints were about the original Mono track since a lot of these folks seem to be the type that refuse to listen to the "fake' tracks anyway. I;ve listened to Lossless vs lossy tracks of many different era soundtracks and the further back I go the less I seem to be able to tell the different. For 1930's audio from a film like Bambi, unless the lossy track is botched and then some I just can't imagine folks can hear much difference on even high end professional equipment. Even with the best music recording of that era I find it hard to believe sicne the recording equipment itself was so limited, but it's certainly possible my hearing just isn't good enough

Even now I have trouble distinguishing even lossless formats from 320 compressed mp3.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but the main complaints were about the original Mono track since a lot of these folks seem to be the type that refuse to listen to the "fake' tracks anyway. I;ve listened to Lossless vs lossy tracks of many different era soundtracks and the further back I go the less I seem to be able to tell the different. For 1930's audio from a film like Bambi, unless the lossy track is botched and then some I just can't imagine folks can hear much difference on even high end professional equipment. Even with the best music recording of that era I find it hard to believe sicne the recording equipment itself was so limited, but it's certainly possible my hearing just isn't good enough

Even now I have trouble distinguishing even lossless formats from 320 compressed mp3.

Oh, I know the comments were about the mono mix - I was just asking for my own edification! :)

Seems odd to me Disney wouldn't bother to make the mix DTS-HD MA this time - what's the point of HR?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Seems odd to me Disney wouldn't bother to make the mix DTS-HD MA this time - what's the point of HR?

It's just a different container for audio. HR is a lossy version of MA. It's higher quality than a standard Dolby Digital or DTS lossy track, but not as high quality as MA.

The only reason I can think to use HR over MA would be lack of disc space.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
7.1 seems like overkill anyway. Their target audience either doesn't have or doesn't care about surround sound and the ones who do would just complain about how fake it is.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks for the review, Matt. I think I will pass on this version since I have the Diamond Edition from 2011.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks