What's new

Bambi - Platinum Edition for March 05! (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
During the forest fire sequence, Bambi was going to find Thumper shot in the stomach, lying on the ground, unable to move. Some of the storymen were all about this idea - they thought it would be the most powerful moment in all of animation history up to that time.

But then they decided to have Bambi get shot instead (a story incident many people forget about, strangely enough).

Since Bambi was going to get shot, they couldn't very well end the film with everyone getting shot, and so, Thumper was saved.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Thumper wasn't shot in the film, but they were planning on a scene where Bambi found Thumper "gutshot". Bambi had to run away and leave him as he died.

Instead, as seen in the film, Bambi was shot as he leaped across a gorge. I remember seeing the re-release of Bambi in 1988 with my girlfriend, and she just about came out of her chair. She had no idea Bambi got shot in the film.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Me neither.

I will forget what I have just heard.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I heard the movie was going to have a special edition in which Thumper shoots first.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Going back to an earlier post about the LOC vaults; I had the great pleasure of performing volunteer work in those vaults for a year. What they house is actually the pre-1950's negatives for the Disney films that were made on nitrate film stock. All films made before this time used this type of film which is firstly, quite prone to degradation over a period of years if not kept in the proper climate conditions, and most importantly is so flammable that it can burn underwater. The vaults are actually located at the Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton. They were originally built to house classified military films but were put to use in their current incarnation when the legislators in D.C. realized that they had a potential time-bomb being stored in their back yards and went about searching for a more suitable location far away from the nation's capital. There is a new facility being finished in Culpepper, VA where the L.O.C. will move all of its collection and restoration departments sometime in 2006. So long story long, Disney didn't donate their films to the L.O.C. per se. They just realized that the L.O.C. were among the few entities that could properly care for their films. When they need material, they just call up the folks in Dayton and it is shipped to them. There is actually a great guy whose sole job it is to take care of the Disney films and check their condition on a regular basis. I got to hold the original negs for SNOW WHITE and STEAMBOAT WILLIE while I was there. I was in geek heaven!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks