Bambi On Laserdisc

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ZackR, Feb 22, 2003.

1. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Has Bambi ever been released anywhere on laserdisc in good quality? I remember it was released years ago on LD. Anyways,I have never viewed it, and I am curious about the quality before I go hunting....

Thanks for any input,

Zack

2. Tom Blizzard

Tom Blizzard Stunt Coordinator

[​IMG] Jack,
    I know of two. First,the original LD, back in the early 1990s and second, a remastered re-release later.

I believe there was a "Special Edition", but I know it sold for around $100 at the time it came out. Last time I saw it listed, it was going for a high price.

I've still got'em both (first two mentioned) if you have any further specific questions.

I thought the quality of the remaster to be excellent. Many "fans" thought it was too good and did not reflect the intent of the original artists.

I have not seen the dvd............

3. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

Thanks so much for the information. I know it hasn't been released on DVD yet, so I wanted to look around for the LD to hold me over. I will be getting an LD player soon, so it would be nice to have it.

Thanks again very much,

Zack

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

I think 55th anniversary discs are pretty good considering it's a 1940's film. The earlier LD's weren't nearly as clean, but the later one holds up pretty well I think.

5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron

6. Tom Blizzard

7. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    Don't worry, Tom, the 55th Anniversay laser is a dime a dozen on eBay. I tried selling my near-mint copy and literally couldn't get a $9.99 opening bid - and this is the gorgeous 2-disc CAV gatefold edition with tons of extras. I decided to keep it as my only remaining laser disc, a reminder of how great the format once was. The initial laser release was a transfer of the unrestored movie, full of specs and with badly faded color. The 55th, whether you get the CLV or CAV, is stunning. The DVD of this is gonna knock your socks off (in three or four or five years).

8. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

I've got the restored CAV laserdisc--guess it's time to give it another look.

One thing that I have learned here on the HTF--HOLD ON TO YOUR LD'S!

9. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

10. Tom Blizzard

Colin,
    OK, right you are,,,,,,, (Sorry Zack). Well maybe I was thinking about the red box set with, with ?????? let's see,,, maybe Pinocchio...............didn't it sell for about $75- $100 new??

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I also have the CAV special edition. It is excellent, and only was $45 I think brand new. I got it at Tower when it first came out for $40 I think. The CLV version is also very good and I believe has some extras as well.

12. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

The red box was Pinocchio.

I was just looking at that list and it looks like I'm missing Pinocchio and Hunchback assuming my Sleeping Beauty arrives in good condition.

13. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

There was also the 3-disc box set, Donald Duck: A Star Is Born (also red) released only in Japan. Very expensive if you can find it at all.

14. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

The Anniversary Edition (which I have) does contain a Kodak restored print that is far better than the original release on LD (which looked absolutely abysmal).

However, whenever this arrives on DVD or HD discs (by the time they get around to releasing this film we may have Blu-Ray and/or HD-DVD) they probably will do what they did to Snow White and take the current 1990's Kodak archival print and touch it up digitally to make it look like the original cell drawings with no print flaws, etc.

Dan

15. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

Quote: "There was also the 3-disc box set, Donald Duck: A Star Is Born (also red) released only in Japan. Very expensive if you can find it at all."

---

The Donald Duck set came in a blue box, not red. There is a red Mickey set, though.