Balto 2-On TV today and DVD Tuesday?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Jason, Feb 17, 2002.

1. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

My kids love the original Balto and even though Balto 2 will probably be a weak sequel, I had planned on getting it Tuesday, it's supposed release date. Except I see that it is on Toon Disney this morning. Isn't that strange that they would have it on TV, 2 days before it's "release date"?

2. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

I had to review it last week and was suprised that it (Balto 2) was actually very good. Well-written, good voice-acting, good message and solid animation, considering it was a direct-to-video release.

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I swear that TV stations must keep up with DVD releases. Shows that I haven't seen aired in years, whenever the DVD is about to come out, I see airing on multiple stations/times.

4. Brett Jason

Brett Jason Stunt Coordinator

But why would Disney want to negatively impact the sales of their own movie? I mean, I would have bought it sight unseen Tuesday, but now we'll watch it today. If it's bad I won't get it and even if it's good I might just download it from my REPLAYTV to a VHS (gasp).

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Balto II is a Universal product.

6. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Are you sure you weren't watching Cartoon Network? I was channel surfing last night and when I past by Cartoon Network, the TIVO screen said Balto 2 was on.

7. Anthony Liz

Anthony Liz Stunt Coordinator

I think he meant Cartoon Network. Balto was on last night and again at 9:00am central time. I also have to agree with Aaron, it wasn't a bad sequel at all. The only thing I'm pretty tired of is the fact that almost every cartoon sequel revolves around them having kids.

I know the studios are targeting kids, but maybe writers should spend a little more time on the story, instead of using the "having a kid(s)" formula.

8. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

Yeah it seems anytime a new dvd release comes out the thing is on some station. When willow came out it was on Sci-Fi the weekend before

Capt

9. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Agent

Actually, showing it on Cartoon Network before the DVD release date may actually help sales. I had no intention of purchasing "Balto II", but my kids watched it and loved it. So now I probably will buy it.