"Baltic Birch" Plywood

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joseph Sabato, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

I went to Home Depot today to see if I could find some "Baltic Birch" plywood and I did not see anything that had that name, nor did the guy that worked there know anything about it.

They did have 2 X 4 sheets of Birch plywood (~16.00 / sheet) that is intended for "architectural applications". Looking at all 4 cut edges, there were no apparent voids like I saw occasionally on the other plywood that they had....is this the right stuff?

If I build an IB manifold, I want to use plywood since the box will be cantilevered from wall studs and 2 Tempests are not exactly light. MDF will not cut it in this application.

I have not tried the custom woodworking shops in the area to find out where to get it. Buying it at HD would just be easier, and maybe cheaper. Thanks.

2. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

Try an actual hard wood yard, I only buy MDF from HD, everything else i try and go through a local yard, most to the times the wood is better quality, and i am supporting my local business. Also if you are looking most the times if you aren't picky on size they will cut you a deal with scraps that they can't really sell.

I looked for BB 13 ply at 5 different local yards before i found on that had it. and it was worth it.

a 5x5 sheet of BB ran me 55 bucks, i got my two enclosures out of one sheet so i was happy. In all honesty i don't think BB is going to save a lot of weight, one of my Pis tips the scales at over 25 pounds.

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

>I went to Home Depot today to see if I could find some "Baltic Birch" plywood and I did not see anything that had that name, nor did the guy that worked there know anything about it.
    ====
    BB is quite common and normally stocked at distributors, so either have them check their supplier or get their number/location and check with them. Even if they don't have it they'll probably know if anyone else does.
    ====
    >They did have 2 X 4 sheets of Birch plywood (~16.00 / sheet) that is intended for "architectural applications". Looking at all 4 cut edges, there were no apparent voids like I saw occasionally on the other plywood that they had....is this the right stuff?
    ====
    Could be. Count the plys, if 13 for 19mm (3/4").......
    ====
    >If I build an IB manifold, I want to use plywood since the box will be cantilevered from wall studs and 2 Tempests are not exactly light. MDF will not cut it in this application.
    ====
    Agreed.
    ====
    >In all honesty i don't think BB is going to save a lot of weight.....
    ====
    FWIW, BB is listed as 41 lbs/ft^3 Vs MDF's 50 lbs/ft^3.

GM

4. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

I don't think BB is really necessary for IBs. I would, instead, just double up the birch ply you saw at HD and use it.

Pete

5. Joseph Sabato

Joseph Sabato Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys,

First I will go count the plys on the material at HD, Then I will call around to some of the local yards or the local custom woodworking place down the road.

6. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

For an IB there's not even any reason to use "birch" plywood. The birch layer is nothing more than a veneer and there for looks only.

Since an IB is usually in an attic or basement and not really "visable" why not use a decent grade of plain old plywood?

7. Ken Cline

Ken Cline Stunt Coordinator

Not true BB plywood. BB is not veneer, each layer is birch. This is the same stuff found on quality kitchen cabinets(drawers). Great stuff to work with and much less dust than MDF.

I have a building surplus in my area and they have 19mm 5x5 for $25. This is where I usually get mine.

8. Chris Keen

Chris Keen Stunt Coordinator

Dang! That is super cheap for BB ply. Yeah, the other thing to note, is that this stuff almost always comes in 5'x5' sheets. Not that it can't come in other dimensions, but I've just never seen it come in anything else. Good stuff though.

9. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

they also alternate the grain by 90 degrees each layer to add rigidity, I also have to say that i think BB is much much stronger then MDF.

If only i could fine a 5X5 sheet for 19 bucks [​IMG]

10. Alex-F-V

Alex-F-V Stunt Coordinator

For that cheap it would almost be cheaper for you to buy me some and have it shipped to me!!

Very lucky... my local yard is about 55-60 bucks for a 5'x5' sheet.

11. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

HD does carry it, its not with all the other construction ply's its staked with the oak veneer plywood.

I just bought a sheet of 3/4" for the braces in my North Creek speakers.

12. Jeff Hoak

Jeff Hoak Stunt Coordinator

The material I was refering to was the HD "birch" plywood. It most definately is NOT baltic birch. I haven't done a "ply" count but I've worked with true baltic birch and this stuff ain't it.

Granted it's a WORLD better than the B-C Exterior grade stuff but under the birch is still good old yellow pine.

I guess we just get the crap here in Florida. I've been to every Home Depot, Lowes, and locally owned lumber yard within a 3 hour drive from my house and I've yet to see true baltic birch here.

I still keep looking though...

13. JohnGil

JohnGil Stunt Coordinator

Yeah maybe it is a Florida thing, because the stuff here in seattle is the real thing. Its about $54 a sheet.

14. Al Garay

Al Garay Stunt Coordinator

John,

Which Home Depot in Seattle? Did you see Baltic Birch plywood in 4'x8' sheet?

I bought a 5'x5' sheet at BlackStock Lumber for about $35.

Thanks,

Al

15. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

These guys have offices in Orlando and Tampa and sell 5 x 5 sheets of Baltic Birch Plywood at wholesale - give them a call and see where you can get their products retail:

http://www.dixieply.com/orlando.htm#about

16. George W

George W Stunt Coordinator

Hey John,

You're not the only one building North Creek's in Seattle. I just picked up some baltic birch yesterday from Dunn Lumber for $45. Did you get yours from the Depot on Aurora? I now need to find some sort of cabinet maker around here who I can get to cut the wood for me; I'm sick of my Dad's table saw which seems incapable of producing square cuts, leaving me with many hours of filling and sanding. By the way, which kit are you building?

George

17. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Some folks might be confusing true Baltic Birch solid core plywood with the much more common (and stocked at the big "home" stores) Birch-faced pine plywood. That's the plywood that most kitchen cabinets are made from and yes, the Birch is only a veneer on the faces of the plywood. I don't think HD carries true BB plywood.

18. Aaron Howell

Aaron Howell Stunt Coordinator

I see a lot of these "where to buy baltic birch plywood" posts here. Maybe we should create a thread on it, and can have everyone post where they get it. Could be sorted by city, state, zip code or something.