Ballpark it for me

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John*DB, Aug 10, 2004.

1. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

I am purchasing a projector and Northridge E20s w/ EC35 for my 15 X 15 condo.

What pricerange am I looking at for a 5.1 DD/DTS receiver that is not overkill but works WELL with the Northridge JBLs?

$300? $400?

I am starting to "grasp" an understanding with projectors and speakers but receivers are confusing the HELL out of me!!!

Everyone has their favorite brand but I need some guidance here. Yahmaha, Onkyo, H/K

For the love guys...help me out!

Thanks [​IMG]

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I've sold many of the low to mid price denons with the northridge system, the low end starts at $300 I prefer the step up that's closer to $500 (can't remember the numbers off hand)

3. John*DB

come on guys...help me out here

4. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

I would say to go digital. You can pick up the Panny XR50 for $240 shipped. Sounds and performs fantastic.

You can also buy a refurb HK from the Harman Audio store.

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

You might also want to check into the Yamaha HTR-5760 which can be purchased on-line for $330 or so. I've had lots of receivers over the past two years (actually 6 receivers) - that varied from JVC to Denon to a previous version of Yamaha to a H/K Flagship receiver to a Sony ES receiver. I'm truly amazaed at what the HTR-5760 can provide for such an economical cost. [​IMG]

6. John*DB

I am definitely interested in the Yamaha HTR-5760 BUT is it overkill for the size of my room and speakers. I will not have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. I don't want to spend extra money for features I will not use.

You don't buy a Corvette to drive to your neighbors house and back...kind of a waste.

Thanks for your help guys...keep it comin

John

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

John,
    Any receiver you buy now will have features you will not use like 6.1 or 7.1. Most if not all recievers will have Pro Logic IIX which is only useful in a 7.1 system.

Personally for that little of money I'd go with one of the Panasonic digital recievers or the already mentioned Yamaha. Overkill is SO MUCH better than buying underkill. Overkill allows you to grow.

8. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

John, you laid out a range of prices: $300? $400?, so I picked the 5760 which falls squarely in the middle of the price you posted.

If I were to suggest "overkill" receivers, I would have recommended the Denon AVR-5803 or AVR-4802R, or maybe even the Marantz 7400.

You don't want to go on a highway trip in a Yugo ... some big friggin' truck will mow you down. Buy what you can in your range. You'll be much happier with the item - even if it is slightly overkill. [​IMG]

9. John*DB

Great! Thanks. I totally agree with you guys. Think I'll be getting the Yam 5760. Seems pretty reliable and a lot of people seem to love it.