Balenced VS unbalenced and where to buy?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by John Menoni, Jul 15, 2005.

1. John Menoni

John Menoni Stunt Coordinator

I just got the Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro and I'm getting the 7100 or 7200 amp (whatever they decide to call it) in another two weeks. I might have the option of getting balenced inputs if they update the 7100. Can anyone reccomend either? Where is a good place to buy them once I decide which one to buy? Thanks.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Not really sure what you are asking. You can't add balanced inputs to an amp that doesn't have them. Also the 7100 replacement will not have balanced inputs. Outlaw will introduce balanced inputs on its 790 amp, their top of the line multi channel model. Eventually, most of their amps will have balanced inputs.

3. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Outlaw is an Internet-only company and is not available in retail outlets. You buy them at the Outlaw website.

4. John Menoni

Rob, I wasn't reffering to the outlaw system. Where do I buy the cables?

Arthur, I thought that maybe the new version of the 7100 would have balenced inputs because the 990 has them. Were did you find out that the 7100/7200(whatever they are going to call it) isn't going to have the balenced inputs?

Thanks.

5. Scotty P

Scotty P Agent

if the equipment you are connecting them to doesn't have balanced connection there isn't much point in having them on the amp inputs. Even if it does with short (typical home use) cable runs it isn't going to buy you much still.

You should be able to get cables at most music stores that sell guitar and other band equipment and pro audio equipment, also radio shack. they would also be known as mic cables. don't' know specifically with the outlaw but there are 2 types of balanced connectors. XLR and TRS 1/4 inch. TRS would be the same connector in a stereo headphone cable, although technically only balanced if using a 2 conductor plus shield cable.

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

John

I called Outlaw a couple days ago and asked if the replacement for the 7100 was going to have balanced inputs. They said since the 7100 (replacement) is an entry level piece, they want to keep the price down. Adding balanced inputs would have put it out of range of customers on a limited budget. Since balanced is considered a high-end feature, they will be starting with their 7X300 watt amp, and then working their way down. That is what the dude said. Since they are just finishing a redesign of the 7100, I would not expect to see a balanced version for 2-3 years, if then.

The main advantage of balanced is reduced noise over very long runs. For example, if your amp and preamp were 40 feet apart, balanced would be good. Otherwise the difference is in the coin toss range, i.e., imperceptable.

7. Gavin_mi

Gavin_mi Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that the "balanced" output on the 990 arent really balanced anyways? is this true?

8. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    FYI, If it isn’t balanced it isn’t TRS – it’s TS.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

9. Scotty P

Scotty P Agent

true-however, it would be possible for a cable to be made with a 3 conductor cable and TRS connectors for interconnection of a stereo signal (sharing a common negative) where a cable intended for a balanced signal would be 2 conductor plus sheild to maximize rejection of noise

10. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Either way, it's TRS.

11. Phil Hunt

Phil Hunt Extra

YES that is correct the "balanced" output on the 990 arent really balanced!

12. John Menoni

O.K. I guess I'm going with the unbalenced inputs. Where should I buty them? I'm getting my amp in approx 2 weeks.

13. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Reminds me of Norm McDonald.

Actually the story on that is that the internal circuitry is not fully balanced, but the signal is balanced right before being output on the XLR connections. Benefits are the same unless the unit has a really crappy power supply.