What's new

Bale looses it during filming... (2 Viewers)

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Sorry I'm back again but you are correct. Lumping every celeb together was wrong on my part and I certainly should have taken it (and normal people) case to case.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
My guess is that McG was watching the monitor, or even the actors while the scene was being filmed so a DP snooping around outside the area being filmed might escape his attention.

I can understand Bale being pissed and dumbfounded that a DP of all people would break such a basic rule of set eitquette, but to go on for three minutes, shouting at the top of your voice and saying over forty F-words when a "don't ever to that walk into my line of sight during a take again and you should know better" would've have sufficed.

There were dozens of people around, an actress right in front of him and they shouldn't have to listen to that no matter what the situation. It's unproffessional, especially when the director hasn't yet yelled cut. If something happens, you finish the take, the director yells cut, then give some heated words to whoever.

I think it's likely Bale knows he's slumming with this film and therefore feels he can treat people like shit using whatever excuse.

Again, a three minute tirade, over forty F-words, actors right in front of you, the middle of a take, the director hasn't yelled cut, you blatantly disobey the director's request to take a minute. Not justified and totally unprofessional no matter what ... even if the DP walked up behind Bryce and started making lewd gestures.

Unprofessional and hot headed behavior is unprosfessional and hot headed behavior no matter what the justification is and no matter what film you starred in the year before.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
The guys an infant, a bully, no excuse at all for blowing his top the way he did, totally unprofessional behaviour. He still has a lot of growing up to do, my opinion of course.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I've already started binning all my Christian Bale dvds, damn there go the Batman films, ah no great loss, but Empire of the Sun was a Spielberg classic, why why why? [sobs uncontrollably] :D

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

The director hasn't yelled cut? The director obviously doesn't have control of his set if the DP is doing things that are causing a major distraction to the actors and the director isn't even paying attention to it.

Ever heard the phrase "quiet on the set"? That's rule #1. Anyone not directly involved in what is being put on film between "action" and "cut" should be doing nothing but being quiet and holding still.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor

It sure seems like you're excusing his behavior. I've seen nothing in any of your posts here to suggest that you find anything wrong regarding Bale's outburst and your multiple posts seem to suggest that you find fault with anyone who does.

And yes, I am indulging in moral superiority - because I've earned it. I go to great lengths to act in a controlled manner towards others in every aspect of life. I do so because I treat others the way I want to be treated. Now, do I fail now and again - sure. But not to that extent.

Now, others have said the two have made their peace with it - fine. But, by the same token, it also sounds like it's a pattern with him. So if I were in the business, I'd think twice before working with him.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I am not saying that Bale shouldnt have gotten angry. I am just saying that having a temper tantrum for 15 minutes is childish. If he had a real problem, he could have solved it more privately than screaming like he did.

And threatening to not come back until he is gone is way over the line and certainly a "stuck up celebrity" thing.

How much money does 15 minutes on set cost? His litttle "stomping his feet and holding his breath" episode must have cost a lot money.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Touché. We all have our weaknesses. But for me it's not Bale's outburst that has the train-wreck fascination.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Pretty much any non-office job. Any service industry job, any high pressure jobs like the legal profession (lawyers only, not staff!), any kitchen crew, all of these have venting of frustrations as part and parcel of what is acceptable. Mind you it has to be seen as harmless, like Bale's tirade was.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Next thing you know, some people will say that having giggle fits is unacceptable too. Which would deprive us of the best part of blooper reels.

Fact is emotions swing hard on movie sets due to the pressure. It is not unexpected.

John Doran

Screenwriter
interesting. so, if the extent of your own moral failings can be excused by the extent of your other moral successes, then why not the same for bale?

i mean, maybe he's a paragon of virtue and selflessness in any number of other areas of his life - perhaps he gives staggering amounts of his wealth quietly and anonymously to charities and works tirelessly to ease the suffering of the patients in the palliative care wards in third-world hospitals. and if so, would that make him more eligible for forgiveness and undertsanding in this case?

the point being that it would be simplicity itself to describe a picture where the "extent " of the failure of bale's outburst was proportionately no greater - or even smaller - than the extent of your own failings relative to the successes of your own acts of self-control.

but whatever: it's not even worth thinking about.

and that's what astonishes me about this thread: why does ANYONE care about this?

seriously.

i. just. don't. understand.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Because it is an entertaining 4 minute clip. Same reason why Casey Kasem's tirade was popular. It's fun. Kimmel's recreation of the event was good too.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member

Where exactly is this pattern?

His mother and sister insulted him JUST to get a rise out of him, then falsely accused him of assault, JUST to tear him down. That's no pattern, that's a screwed-up family.

Mark Hawley

Second Unit

That justifies a three minute tirade, spewing forty F-words in front of the cast and crew how?

And if you read my post, I acknowledged that walking into an actor's view during a take was a major breach of set etiquette. It just doesn't justify a psychotic tirade.

And during a take, a director is usually watching the videotap monitor, or the actors themselves and he may not notice somebody walking around the set, and admittedly, he shouldn't have to worry about that.

And I can see why some people are making excuses for Bale's behavior. TDK is a beloved film by many here and the people involved in the film must take on an almost demi-god type aura to some of these fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks