Baldur's Gate

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Voigt, Aug 26, 2001.

1. Mike Voigt

Mike Voigt Supporting Actor

I am having trouble installing this thing on a Win2K workstation.
    Any ideas? I suspect it might be a too-fast CD-ROM... but not too sure.
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

It could be that it's not compatible with Win 2K.
    Check out www.interplay.com and look around there for a while in the support page. Or email them.
    ------------------
    Joe Dahlen
    "Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

3. Peter Harkess

Not sure what the issue is but it shouldn't be Win2K compatibility. I have played through both BG1, ToSC, SoA and ToB on a Win2K Notebook. No problems.
    I suggest you post on a Troubleshooting forum on the Black Isle Message Boards:
    http://feedback.blackisle.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
    [Edited last by Peter Harkess on August 26, 2001 at 05:03 PM]

4. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

I had problems with running this on Win2000 as well. It was a touch easier as I just installed it on my 98SE partition. However, I had some issues with my sound card not wanting to work with 2K as well and didn't try installing the game after I fixed that problem.
    Checking on Black Isle's division @ Interplay.com, it states that the BG collection needs Win95/98 but if Peter had no problems... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]My Top 10 of 2000 My Top 10 of 2001

5. Peter Harkess

Just to clarify, the BG readme.txt files state that, although BG doesn't officially support Win2K Black Isle have tested it and users shouldn't have any problems.

6. Mike Voigt

Hmmm, I must have a bad disc or something.
    Because I cannot even pull up the readme.txt - the file is referred to as "not being there" and occasionally will lock up Explorer.
    This is on two separate machines, one a dual-processor and one a single-processor with essentially nothing running in the tray... so I doubt there was interference.
    OTOH, it was a 50x CD-ROM...
    I'm going to try on a Win98SE machine. Slowest beast this side of a 486, but...
    Mike
    Update: it didn't work on my 98SE either. When I try to view readme from the launcher, after 5 minutes it shows it, together with some gobbledygook at the end - and launches 5 "Launcher" windows. I try to install, it goes off and does its thing, then proceeds to show 5 more "Launcher" windows. OK, so I try going via Explorer to get to the Readme file (heck, always best check, its text after all) - and no readme, but two "Launcher" windows.
    And, oh, the two Demos work fine on Win2K machines...
    I think it is safe to say the disc is screwed up...
    [Edited last by Mike Voigt on August 27, 2001 at 08:07 PM]

7. Peter Harkess

Mike, I think your conclusion is correct. Regardless of application compatibility you should always have access to the directory.

8. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

If you can't access the contents of the CD-Rom, then either the disc is bad or the Cd-rom drive is screwed up. I'm sure the problem isn't that the drive is too fast, that shouldn't make any difference.
    ------------------
    Joe Dahlen
    "Take hold of the flame, you've got nothing to lose, but everything to gain."

9. Mike Voigt

Well, there was a warning about CD speed on one of the websites... oh well.
    I went and exchanged it.
    It installed with no muss, no fuss. On a 50x CD-ROM, so I would agree with your conclusion re speed and also that it clearly was the CD-ROM itself.
    The game is addicting. Shouldn't have started... sigh. Gotta get up tomorrow, er, today at 5:30...
    Mike

10. Peter Harkess