1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Baldur's Gate and LOTR?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Harkess, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Peter Harkess

I am playing through BG1 for the second time (as a Necromacer, last time was a Paladin) and was wondering if anyone had tried it using an LOTR based party.
    My guess is it would look something like this:
    Frodo - Halfling Fighter
    Boromir - Human Fighter
    Aragorn - Human Ranger
    Gimli - Dwaven Fighter
    Lelolas - Elven Ranger
    Gandalf - Human Mage (Diviner or Illusionist?)
    The problem seems to be that any LOTR party has no real healing ability. Has anyone been through the game with a LOTR party? How did you fare?

2. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hmm...well it would probably work better if you used a general LOTR party, rather than the more specific FOTR party. This way you could throw in Elrond as a Cleric/Mage/Fighter or just a figher/cleric if you want him to level faster. I would also make Frodo a Fighter/Thief. I'd also probably make Aragorn a Paladin, since in my mind he really is more of a Ranger/Paladin, but playing by AD&D rules, you can't do that. I forget whether or not you can use Dual-Class characters in Baldur's Gate, otherwise this would be the more accurate way to do this, although actually getting him to a reasonable level in both classes would take forever. This would get you a tad more healing capability as well. I guess the main thing is that in the LOTR, the party basically just healed at pit stops along the way to their destinations. I usually play through rpgs with a sort of LOTR party, but I grab anyone I feel like out of the book, rather than limiting it to the more specific fellowship.

3. Peter Harkess

You can use Dual and Multi-Class characters in BG so your idea of making Frodo a Fighter/Thief would work. I've realised that we can't have an Elven Ranger so Legolas would have to be a Fighter. An Elven Fighter/Druid would be better but he doesn't display any Priest abilities in the books.
    We could push the boundaries and, as you've suggested, make Aragorn a Paladin which again would be useful for healing needs. I did want to stick to the Fellowship rather than picking from all characters.

4. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

Hmm... yah, i knew baldur's gate allowed multi-class, just wasn't sure about dual-class(human specific). I guess since you want to stick with Fellowship, another stretch would be with Gandalf. Now technically, he's not really a human, but unfortunately you can't pick a race of lesser god. Now we know he is definitely a fighter/mage, since throughout the books he is the one wielding Glamdring. I'd be willing to bet that he would have some healing ability, although I can't really think of any examples. I'd probably go ahead and make Legolas a half-elf so that you can get the appropriate class. There really are too many rule restrictions in AD&D to structure everything appropriately. The FOTR party really isn't very balanced, since it's basically just a bunch of fighters + gandalf. I guess that's a good thing though, when you're going off to fight a war.